Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help with ufsdump

Status
Not open for further replies.

riteshp

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2000
US
I am trying to do a full backup of my system using ufsdump...i am able to backup for example / to tape and I confirm it's on tape also, problem is when I backup another fs like /var or /usr it overwrites to the tape. How can i get the command to append to tape...thank you in advance [sig][/sig]

Assuming your tape device is /dev/rmt/0:

use /dev/rmt/0n instead - that will stop the tape rewinding after the dump of / and will append the dump of /usr to the tape.

To restore from the dump, you would use the 's' flag for ufsrestore to skip over the dump of / [sig][/sig]

I tried that with the 0n,I dumped / first and /usr second..so to verify the tape content i did ufsrestore tv - to see all the files...all the files from / dont show up only /usr files do...so i did erased the tape dumped /usr first and / second...this time files from / show up but when i do - ufsrestore tv /usr/* - nothing shows up...i hope you can understand what i'm trying to say...thanks again. [sig][/sig]

Try this:

(dump / then /var):

ufsdump 0vf /dev/rmt/0n /
ufsdump 0vf /dev/rmt/0n /var

(rewind the tape):

mt -f /dev/rmt/0 rewind

ufsrestore -ivf /dev/rmt/0

(you should now be in an interactive restore of / - quit the session.)

ufsrestore -ivfs /dev/rmt/0n 1

(the 's' flag combined with the '1' after the tape name should skip the dump of / and put you into an interactive restore session of /var)

I hope that works - I'm not 100% sure of the ufsdump flags - it's a long time since I ran it... [sig][/sig]

that doesnt work either...i dumped / then /usr..followed the rest...but still when i do ufsrestore t /usr/* to see the tape content, it says the files under /usr are not on volume..eventhough when i dumped the file it was successful.Any other suggestions [sig][/sig]

i did that...i typed ufsrestore tsf /dev/rmt/0n 1 after dumping / and /usr and rewinding the tape...i still get only / files no /usr files....i am getting frustrated big time...i read the darn man pages a million times already [sig][/sig]

Hi,

I do a multiple file system dump as well. I do a ufsdump of / using the rmt/0n device, then backup the other file system using the rmt/0 device.

I have tried this method of ufsrestore with success:

ufsrestore tvf /dev/rmt/0n, this will read the tape to the end of the first dump without doing a rewind. Once this has been completed you may try the ufsrestore ivf /dev/rmt/0.

Hope this helps.
[sig][/sig]

or you could do

mt -f /dev/rmt/0n fsf 1

That'll skip forward past the first dump on the tape and position it at the beginning of the second one. [sig][/sig]

Hi guys,

Thank you for all the info, i have the dumps on tape now,we'll find out when i need to do a restore whether this was successful or not. [sig][/sig]

It would probably be worth checking if you can restore a file now, rather than later. There's nothing worse than thinking "No worries, I've got a backup. I'll be fine!", and then when you need the backup real bad, realising that the files haven't been backed up...

At the very least, use the commands with dump/restore that let you get a listing of the files on the tape. [sig]<p> Andy Bold<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>"I've probably made most of the mistakes already, so hopefully you won't have to..." Me, most days.[/sig]

Andy,

I did as you suggested, it's all there....thanks [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back