Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with the "IF" command Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remeartificer

Technical User
May 7, 2004
GB
Need help with the "IF" command Please

I have a table called "tblTasks"

In this table I have two fields: "Status" and "PaymentDate"

My aim is to acheive the following: If the field for payment date is left empty then the status will read "OPEN", but if there is a date entered then status will read "CLOSED".

The data is displayed on a subform within a form in datasheet view. In the edit mode I have entered an unbound text box but I dont know what IF command to write.

I am sure this is a simple "IF" command but I cant get my head around it. Can someone please assist?

Thank you.

Something like:
[tt]=IIf([PaymentDate] Is Null, "Open", "Closed")[/tt]

Many thanks for your reply Remou. May I ask another question now I have seen your solution?

The person I am setting this up for has now said that occasionally he makes part-payments, which would mean that the account wouldnt be closed if only half was paid.

I would now need a formula that would recognise if the amount he paid was the same as the quote. ie: the field "PaidAmount" is the same as the field "Form2QuoteAmount".

How could I reconfigure =IIf([PaymentDate] Is Null, "Open", "Closed") to do this?

Apologies for the last minute change to the question and thanks again.

Would it be simply:

=IIf([PaidAmount]=[Form2QuoteAmount],"Open","Closed")

?

Revised:

=IIf([PaidAmount]=[Form2QuoteAmount],"Closed","Open")

I think this is working.....

Yep, happy that this is working. But now want to add to it:

So far I have a status showing OPEN, CLOSED. But I now want to add PENDING.

So any amount under the quote amount, but not zero, needs to change the status to PENDING.

Any suggestions?

I need something like

>0 but not = [Form2QuoteAmount], "Pending",

But I also need to inc the open & closed part.

Please help :)

Try something like this.

Code:
If paidamount = Form2QuoteAmount then
     Paidamount = "Closed"
Elseif Nz(paidamount) <> 0 then
     Paidamount = "Pending"
Else
     Paidamount = "Open"
End if

You can add criterias or commands if u like.

"Knowing that you know is the greatest sign of stupidity, knowing that you are ignorant is the best proof of intelligence.

On one line:
[tt]IIf(Nz([Form2QuoteAmount])-Nz([PaidAmount])=0,"Closed",IIf(Nz([Form2QuoteAmount])-Nz([PaidAmount])=Nz([Form2QuoteAmount]),"Open","Pending"))[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back