Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help with Setting Mailbox Limit Standards & Best Practices 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaine

MIS
Oct 4, 2001
US
I need some help setting up standards for Mailbox Limits in my 1000+ user organization. Roughly 100 users are over their specified 10MB Mailbox limit. Not much room left on the Exchange server, so I don't want to increase the mailbox capacity, but I need to make sure these users receive important emails from company executives. Any ideas for best practices here?

It's time to add more hard drive space and re-run the Exchange optimizer.

Best practice would be to get a raid 5 set of at least 3 drives (at least 40 or 50 gig of storage) and move your information store to that partition.

If you are gettng short of disk space you may want to consider Circular Logging which maintains only a small numer of log files for storing messages. After writing messages to the database, Exchange server reuses the sapce in the log file for new messages to come in. However, this would be a drastic measure as you have no backup to fall on.
Another option is to ask users to move non important data to .pst folders and review your deleted item retention time for mailboxes.
Hope this helps.

Don't be so cheap!! Add some disk. With 100 users with 10 MB limits you are running 1 GB for your Information Store? Microsoft Corporate uses 75-150 MB of storage per user.

Seriously, change where the mailbox delivers your email to so that their hard drives (using Personal Folders) is where mail delivery occurs (unless you only have 200 MB hard drives).

Email is Application #1 in World. Spend some cash on some disk!!!

Thanks.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back