Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with security hole on school network allowing file deletion 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi everyone. I could really use your help with this one. I am the head Tech Aid in our school. We are having a problem with kids deleting files through what appears to be a security hole. We are using Novell right now. We have the accessories folder on the desktop of all the workstations. The menubar is present on it. We managed to remove all of the text from the menubar. Kids can, however, right-click on the IE globe in the upper right corner and view the address bar. From there they have access to folders. They can delete folders by entering a folder and right clicking on the folder icon in the upper left-hand corner of the window.

All i need to know how to do is remove the menubar. It will solve everything. The servers and workstations all use Windows 98 with Novell Groupwise.

"Troubled Tech Aid",

If you look in the /tools/reskit/netadmin/poledit directory of the Windows 98 CD, you'll find the system policy editor. This will allow you to configure the Windows 98 workstations and disable the menu bar. It also has a help file on how to set up a system policy that is applied when the client logs on.

Matt Ziegler
CNE, MCSE
matgz@ip-pro.com

Hey TechAid-

IPPRO is absolutely correct. The only thing I would add is (and you probably would have figured it out by reading the help files IP mentioned) is to make the profile mandatory. In Win98, I believe that may be accomplished by renaming the policies extention from .pol to .man (I could be thinking of NT, though). However, the kids probably know that too, so if you do it, do it to all machines (including any laptops or computers that get moved around a lot).

Jonny
MCSE Ubi o ubi est mayem sub ubi?

Hi, I'm the network administrator for a school district, and we are currently using a windows security program called Fortres to lock down our workstations with great sucess. Fortress alows users acess only to shortcuts that are placed on the desktop, and disallows acess to anything that you don't want users to get at. Shortcuts on the desktop that you want only teachers to use can be password protected against student use.

Also, there is a hardware device called Centurion Guard that gives everyone full access to the local drive, but completely restores it upon re-booting. You can even format c:, and it will fix it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back