Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with routing through vpn

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiggerDaKat

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2003
US
I am connecting at a remote site with a vpn tunnel to our main office. The remote office has a Watchguard SOHO6tc appliance and the main branch has a sonicwall Pro100 appliance. We can establish the tunnel successfully and area able to ping any device from the remote site to the main office. However the main office also has another router which we need to access a secure web site from. We weren't able to ping the router interface from the remote office until a static route was placed into the router.
Once that was done, we attempted to ping the next device past the other router and were unsuccessful.
Can someone help me with trying to figure out if I have a routing problem and what the routes should be?

Sounds like routing issues like you are thinking.
The next device also needs a route back to your remote LAN, like you set on the first router, however this time the next hop will be the interface on your first router that is adjacent to the second router.

Sounds like that could be the problem. Does that mean that I have to put a static entry in each router along the way? I thought this happens dynamically?

Yes it can be propagated, how you do it depends your routing protocol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back