Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with restoring a file from the Microsoft Backup utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorEd

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2002
US
I did a full and partial backup of my wifes Dell XPS M140 laptop. She left the ac adapter in a hotel in Odessa Tx while on a business trip. Now the battery is depleted and we are waiting for a replacement adapter.

In the meantime she still needs to work so...I tried to do a recovery using the Microsoft Backup utility to my desktop on her logon. When she tries to use the files we get a " C:\Documents and Settings\her name\Desktop is not accessable. Access is denied". We use Windows XP Pro SP2 on both machines. The password to both accounts is the same. The logon names was different so I created a new logon using her laptop logon name. Same problem. So I thought I would delete the file and start over...XP won't let me delete the file.

I did the partial backup to a 4G thumbdrive and recovery from same device. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ed Pierce

Well it appears like my desktop copy of XP is actually the Home Version. I have schlepted this hard drive to several different upgrades and forgot what OS actually was installed. I guess I am scr@#&ed. Thanks for the quick response anyway.

Ed

Once the files have been successfully restored to your Desktop, the fact that you use XP Home and your wife has XP Pro should not be a factor in you accessing the files.

It seems to be only a Permissions issues (NTbackup retains the File Access Permissions from the Wife's Laptop), you must change these access permissions so that you can access the files. It would be more complicated if the Wife's files had been Encrypted in XP Pro before they were backed up.

This link just reinforces "JockMullin's" solution which should work for you.

Help needed with file ownership and permissions in Windows XP Home edition

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (Q308421)

Error Message: "Access Is Denied" When You Try to Open NTFS File System Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back