Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with Quickbooks Will not update help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

millhouselives

Technical User
Jan 27, 2003
US
Hi,

I am working on a Win XP p.c., user upgraded from QB2005Pro to QB2206Pro. All works ok, except when trying to do payroll updates by clicking on the payroll update function within the program an error message of 12002 comes back to us. It indicates a server timeout issue. Here what I have done so far: uninstalled Norton and left if off of the comptuer, uninstalled and reinstalled quickbooks 2006. Still cannot do updates. Our connection is a ADSL modem thur a local ISP. Called Quickbooks and they said that problem was us not being able to download from secure sites. They said we had to have open ports 80 and 443. I asked if they were any changes to their program between 2005 and 2006 and they said no. So if no changes were made how come we cannot download the updates from quickbooks? Also the quickbooks tech had me go to a quickbooks secure website and manually download the update we needed so we could get payroll done. Would that prove that we had gone to a website thru port 443? thank you in advance, this is driving crazy!

First if you are using XP SP2 try disabling the Windows Firewall on the local machine and see if that works.

Depending on how your internet access is set up, then your test most likely does verify that you can connect to prot 443. Be default most routers/firewalls do not block outgoing access to specific ports. Although if you are using a proxy server for internet access that may be where your problem lies. A quick test - go to command prompt and try "telnet 443" im guessing that is the https server address for quickbooks, please amend as appropriate. If you get a blank screen almost instantly you have a connection and i would suggest the issue is with quickbooks. If you get a connection error then the issue lies with your set up.

TidyTrac, Thank you for your quick response. I did disable both XP firewall and Norton was uninstalled when I tested.
We are not using proxy server. But your suggestion to use the telnet command 443 is a good one. I will be visiting the site either on 2/28 or 3/1 and will run that command. When you say that "if I get a connection error then the issue lies with your setup" do you mean that the issue would be with the quickbooks application or do you mean that the issue would be with the setup of the router or ISP blocking, etc?
Thank you again..i will keep you posted of progress!

If you fail to establish a connecting via telnet to the quickbooks HTTPS server then your problem will be something relating to how your access to the internet is set up, ie: router, ISP port blocking, anti virus, firewall etc. If you get a connection, then quickbooks is your culprit and i would be straight back on the phone to them to tell them.

Ok, Here is the latest! I used the telnet command on the computer that we are having the problem on. I did a "telnet 443" command and received a blank screen. Now, the next thing I did was the same command but directed to the local ISP " and I received a "could not open connection to the host: connect failed error message". So, I am a little confused because the telnet command to works, but the one to the local ISP, who they get their adsl connection from returns the "could not connect error message. I have called the ISP and they assured me that it was not their problem. I would have called them again but it was after hours. So my next trick was installing Qucikbooks Pro2006 on another computer in the office, and lo and behold, same problem same error 12002! I ran out of time, but next I am going to run a 50 foot cable from the adsl cable modem directly to the computer and see what happens. How is it possible that I can do a successful telnet to quickbooks 443, but not to the local ISP? :)

The telnet command was merely testing weather you could make a connection from your desktop to the quickbooks HTTPS server. The chances are the reason it didnt work for your localisp is that they dont have an HTTPS server.

As you have replicated this issue on another machine, i am almost certain that the issue is going to be some sort of AV/Firewall. Which applications are using?? Norton.....which version - do you have

Well, on the machine in question, Norton was either disabled or completely uninstalled when the problem was happening so I know it was not norton or the xp firewall because that was also turned off when trying to download the updates from quickbooks. I am visiting the site on Sat 3/4/06 so i will update on Monday. I am going to try bypassing the router and a few other ideas to see if I can get it to work.

TidyTrax,

Well, here is final report! I did remove the router from the setup. Connected PC in question directely to ADSL modem, had a little trouble with that, at first no connection, had to go back into router (plugged in back in for this) and find the option to "release the IP address".

After I connected to Internet with just the dsl modem hooked up, I was able to download updates to QB's app.

Hooker router back, checked its settings and port 443 is configured in port forward but still won't work.

Final solution: download and install latest firmware version for the router, reboot router and pc and finally able to have quickbooks do downloads.

thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back