Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help with Positioning element - Please 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

braves07

Technical User
Apr 24, 2007
US
Hi. I could really use some help on this I'm lost. I have an element I'm trying to appear at the top, left of the container overtop another image. I have it inside a container trying to position it at top 0px left 0px of the container (not the page) but I'm doing something wrong. It appears at the top left of the entire page. I need it to stay in a fixed position relative to the rest of the content, but currently it changes based on screen resolution. Here is a link to my problem:

You should find the page and the css document. The top of the page is how it is appearing... and underneath it is a flat image of how it is suppose to appear. I want the entire page centered though. Someone please help.

Thanks,

braves07

braves07 said:
I have an element I'm trying to appear at the top, left of the container overtop another image.

That's exactly where it is appearing for me (IE6). Your container (id=container) is the first div in the page and is not positioned thus is at the top and left. The navigation appears at top left of container (which is also the top left of the page).

Am I missing something?

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

Ya, it appears at the top left of the page... but that is not where i want it to appear. I want it to appear over the "blackboard image" like the flat image at the bottom of the page. I want it to be centered. You get what I'm saying? Like... you notice how the "main" section is centered on the page. I want the navigation to appear over the top of that... like the image on the very bottom.

Then put it in the main div.

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

It does the same thing in the main div. It appears at the very top left of the page.

and (tested) add positioning to the holding element
Code:
#main { [COLOR=blue]position: relative;[/color]
	MARGIN: 30px 0px 0px 80px; OVERFLOW: hidden; WIDTH: 780px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #2907d3
}

Greg

Perfect.. that worked. Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back