Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with old NIC settings on XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelljack

Technical User
Dec 23, 2001
US
I have a new 3com NIC installed and an old Realtek removed but the old card is still being recognized in XP. I ran the "repair" to get the new card to take the DNS, IP, etc info, but, I cannot for the life of me find out how to get the old NIC out of windows.

I do not want to format the HDD and start over as I have many upgrades,etc.

I need help quick please.

Forget it. No one knows XP enough to help. I did another thread.

Well, I hope you haven't given up yet. You didn't specify which version of XP, but this should work on both.

First, right-click on the 'My Computer' icon (if you don't have your icons turned on, go Start > Control Panel > System), and select properties. On the System applet that opens, select the 'Hardware' tab. Click the 'Device Manager' button in the right-middle section. Open up the 'Network Adapters' branch, right-click on the adapter you have removed, and select 'uninstall'. Confirm the removal, and then close Device Manager. Note - make sure the installed NIC card is working properly, i.e. does not have a red x, or other warning on it.

Next, open the 'Network Connections' applet, either by right-clicking on 'My Network Places' and selecting properties, or from the Control Panel. You should only have one local area connection, although it may be named as number two. (The name is of no consequence, you could name it 'George' if you wished.) Click on this to open your 'Local Area Connection' status applet.

Press the properties button to access the LAN properties settings applet. Confirm that only the existing NIC is present, and then scroll down the list of items below the NIC card, and make sure you have the necessary protocols installed for the card. For Internet access via this card, you'll need TCP/IP installed and configured, while for many home networking applications you will need IPX/SPX installed.

As the Internet is the issue, we’ll look at TCP/IP. If it’s not there, simply close out from the networking applets, re-open the system applet, go to device manager and uninstall the card by following the steps above. Reboot the system (have the NIC drivers handy, if needed) and it should auto-detect, and install the TCP/IP protocol along with the card.

In most cases, the default settings for your TCP/IP stack are going to be the correct ones, and you’ll be online without much more ado. If not, however, go Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. At the prompt, type (without the quotes) ‘ipconfig’ and press enter. Look over the resulting information for the IP address. If it starts with 169 and says ‘auto-configuration address’, type ‘ipconfig /renew’ and press enter. The command prompt should come back in just a second or two – a longer delay indicates that your network settings are not correct for your ISP, and you'll probably be seeing the auto-configuration address again. Contact your ISP and they should be able to give you the correct settings to put in the TCP/IP properties, located in the Local Area Network settings applet, as described above.

Hope this helps.

DosMaster

"To err is human, to really foul things up, it takes a computer."
"Even a fish wouldn't get in trouble if it kept it's mouth shut!"
" *REAL* Programmers can write: 'Copy Con Program.Exe' "
SETI - Be part of something special:

I thank you for your input. I already tried to remove the device from "device mgr", BUT, as I said before, the old card is NOT listed so I can remove it.

My ISP gut was here today to fix the antennae after the hurricane winds on Monday, and the dialog box came up referring to the old card. He even tried to remove the card from "device mgr". He tried to remove it from the registry, but it was not found in a search. So the question is now, where is it?

I will go through the steps you have above in a couple of days. I can't right now as we are in a wind storm from h__l and I don't want to try anything with the power going down.

If nothing works I will take it back and get 98SE put on so I can find this stuff.

Ok. This is quite a parculiar thing that XP does. For some reason it decides that it wants to keep the settings for your old card, just in case you put it back.

The only solutions is to either re-format / re-install XP

OR the easier option is to (if you still have the old NIC). Put the old "realtrek" card back in the same place as it was. Then start XP. Go to device Manager, remove / Unistall the card. Then shutdown the computer. Remove the Realtrek card, then start XP up again. This should solve the problem.

Thanks for the help. I can't go back to the old card but I am going to redo the install. End of request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back