Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with network card communication....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocko

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2001
US
Hello,

First I know nothing about AIX. I run a small network for our company and we have one IBM machine with AIX and running some accounting software.

The problem is last week I installed a new hub and DSL router. This DSL router assigned new IP's to all the pc's. At the same time I lost contact to the IBM. I could not ping it, and the LED status on the hub means there is a problem with the network card. Well IBM came out and said the card is fine. But I still can communicate with it. The IBM can ping itself, and thats it.

Could I have screwed something up? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Difficult to say where to look, my suggestions would be to check your tcp/ip settings and make sure they are correct:
Internet ADDRESS, Network MASK, Default GATEWAY Address. Use the "smit tcpip" fastpath and select "Minimum Configuration & Startup" from the menu to check/change these settings.

Having no experience with a DSL router the only suggestion I could think of here would be that the router wants to talk at 100 Mhz and the RS/6000 network card at 10 Mhz.

Hello,

Thanks. The IBM is just connected to the 24 port hub, which is 10/100mb, and a DSL router then connected tothe hub. The DSL router did assign the pcs different IP's, but no changes were made to the IBM. Does the subnet mask of the IBM have to be the same as the pc's?

Its just strange that all of a sudden we cant communicate with the IBM. I have also tried a crossover cable installed on a pc and the IBM to ping it, no luck. That seems odd.

On the AIX box, check the routing information:
# netstat -r

Your destination "default" should be the router that connects your PCs and AIX box.

Also, make sure that your /etc/host table is has the new ip addresses for the PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back