Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with Master Projects and subprojects

Status
Not open for further replies.

strugglers

Programmer
Sep 1, 2003
US
hello,

we've managed to insert a subproject into our master project but the numbering of each task (i.e. it's ID number) has gone wrong - it doesn't seem to run in sequence and even duplicated the same ID. For example, I now have two tasks with the ID of 1.

Can anyone help as this is really starting to do our heads in??!!

Project retains the numbering scheme from the external project, so as not to confuse the id's with that of the real external project. It does not number them with respect to the Master project. I know. It's a pain, especially when trying to post comments on task id's that exist from inserting external subprojects.

Another approach is to generate a unique WBS template for each subproject (See Project menu/WBS) and renumber the WBS codes for each task in the subprojects.

Be sure to switch off WBS renumbering once your basic set has been defined (Project occasionally recalculates WBS codes if allowed).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back