Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with logon to W2k server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin

Technical User
Oct 10, 2003
US
I have a small non-profit office that until recently was all P-T-P. Have purchased a new server running W2K-Server and am hosting the main application from that server. There are about 10 users with a mixed bag of W2k and (mostly) W98 on their desktops. Currently they have user id's & passwords that add the network drives etc. but my problem is folks accessing the desktop by sneaking into offices & hitting ESC to bypass the logon process. I need to restrict this. What's my best approach.

One of the biggest problems is physical security. First you need to keep people from sneaking into offices. Then, I would suggest upgrading all to w2k pro, so they can't bypass the logon. With W2K pro, you can force people to have to logon, otherwise, they don't even see the desktop. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
"To fear the worst oft cures the worse."
William Shakespeare (1564-1616); English dramatist, poet.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Merlin,

I agree. You have to get rid of the 98 machines, because logons are not required. Upgrade to win2k or xp pro.

Also, if you don't have physical security, you have no security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back