Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help With LinkSys WRT54G Router and HP JetDirect Print Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrGrafix

Technical User
Jul 11, 2003
US
I have a 4-PC home network where I can access the internet (and share files) on any machine including an occassional #5 which is my IBM notebook. I should say I used to be able to do all this, but can't anymore! What's changed? OK, well I finally got around to getting a new LinkSys wireless router to go with my notebook.

The new/old router(s) are LinkSys Wireless WRT54G and the older BEF41 (now retired), and the one I'm currently concerned with is the wireless router and how I can get it to interface with my JetDirect Print Server. Zone Alarm is showing two networks and one set of numbers does not look familiar. I'm really not any sort of expert on ZA, so perhaps someone can tell me if there is a good, layman's terms tutorial on how to set up things like a JetDirect and have ZA allow it. There seems to be two (2) active networks in the setup windows.

My other (probably related) problem seems to be that I can't print out to either of my two printers but I can see all the shared files/folders from any other machine.

Is there a way I can determine the IP address of the router and then manually set it up in the LinkSys software? I've downloaded the latest HP software but the wizard does it's scan then tells me it can't find a HP JetDirect print server. I checked my cables and they seem OK as nothing has changed other than the router.

Mike

Hi,
The default LAN IP of the WRT54G is 192.168.1.1.You have to install the Bi-Admin Utility of the JetDirect Pserver on one of your computer, and to detect the Printserver,you need to disable the ZA on that particular computer.

Launch the Bi-Admin and assign your Printserver with Static IP(i.e.(IP Address:192.168.1.77,Netmask:255.255.255.0,Gateway:192.168.1.1).

Then Add a New Printer and create a New Port using the TCP/IP.

Let me know if you have any questions with regards to this.

Hey ironwill...

Thanks for the help offer. More than willing to follow your every instruction and give it a whirl. Forgive me if I sound dumb on this one, but where will I find the "Bi-Admin" utility or program? Is that a HP utility or a Linksys or zone alarm deal? I did a google search and have not yet found a downloadable file.

The other question... I have disabled ZA on the PC in question, and everything linksys is at default as best as I can determine. I can go to the manual install section of the JetDirect install wizard and enter the IP address, but there is no area to enter the Netmask or Gateway.

Again, thanks for the help.

Mike

hi,
Sorry for the delay...The Bi-Admin is located on the Jetway Printserver Setup disc.
Now, if you could assign the Pserver with a Static IP,make sure it's within the IP range of the router IP(i.e.192.168.1.x).

If you were able to assign it with IP address,try to ping that IP address(Pserver IP).Make sure no firewall(ZA)or any anti-virus.if you were able to ping it then proceed on adding the printer and Create a New Port then use the TCP/IP.

Let me know...

Aha! Unfortunately, I don't have a Jetway Printserver setup disk. I bought this HP JetDirect unit a couple of years ago on eBay and we've been using HP's downloadable software. My son (not available right now) usually helps set this up for me but I have to wait until he visits again. It's a little complicated for me but maybe I can learn something here.

Assuming my external JetDirect unit is cabled correctly into the LinkSys router, why would windows offer an option to install the printer as a local or network printer and not be able to "detect" it? My JetDirect has three (3) printer ports and as I said before, they worked fine with the "old" LinkSys router. Is there any benefit to installing the printers as "local" over "network"? I assume that somehow I'll have to "share" these printers too right?

One last question <grin>... if the printers _are_ local, does the main PC have to be on to have access to all printers from other PCs?

Thanks agin for hanging in there with me. I really appreciate it and maybe I can learn something useful.

Mike

hi,
You need to install the printer behind this Pserver as local network not a Network printer.Because PServers will be the one to set the printers on the whole network.Meaning the Pserver will automatically share the Printer to the whoe network.

Windows won't able to able to detect the Printer if it's located behind a Printserver.Of course,your computer will automatically detect the installed the printer and now the network setup is different.

Ok,if the printer is configured as Local behind a PrintServer,the question would be no.This is because the Printer will be hooked up behind the printserver and this Pserver is located behind(plug)a router.So you need the router always ON.So the whole network can still access the printer.

BTW,sorry again for the delay...

Ironwill...

Got it all working. What my son did <G> was he tried the suggestion of changing the starting IP handouts and used a much lower number. That seemed to help everything along. All printers have IPs now and so does JetDirect.

This was a real PITA though, and I'm going to see if I can get someone to trade me a LinkSys 3-Port Print Server for a LinkSys Cable/DSL Router. At least with the LinkSys unit I'd have an install CD and the consistency of brands on my LAN. But man... thanks for all the help!

Mike

Mike,

That's nice to hear from you.You got it all working :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back