Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with IP's and DHCP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB55185

IS-IT--Management
Sep 7, 2005
US
We have a couple of PC's that are having bizarre issues here that appear to be DNS or DHCP related.

A computer with the IP address 192.168.1.65 is able to connect to the network, however she often loses connectivity for a second or two before regaining connectivity.

I tried a few things to troubleshoot the problem. I get no replies when I ping the PC, I noticed that the PC has a DHCP lease assigned(192.168.1.65) and I can't find any other machines ruling out a duplicate address. I also tried to do an ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew on her computer but it keeps assigning the machine the same address of .65 .
Last of all, I noticed that there is no DNS entry for this machine. Do I need to create one? Does DHCP automatically create a DNS entry?

The same symptoms are going on with a second computer on our network.

Thanks

Doing an ipconfig /release & /renew will always get the same address if it's available. That's by design.

The fact that there isn't a DNS entry would explain why you can't ping it (by name, anyways). What happens if you ping it by IP address?

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

If I try pinging it by ip address it eventually times out. No replies at all.

I noticed a couple of other things while I was up there a few minutes ago. she has two network conenctions set up. I disabled one of them, and I also went into the netowrk connection TCP/IP properties and specified the DNS server name. Still is not working though.

Any software firewalls running?

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

XP firewall was on, so that is why I couldn't ping..thanks sniper. :) I ended up renaming the computer and rejoining it to the domain. Then went into DHCP and manually created the entry. Kind of a mishmash way of doing things, but it seemed to have worked.

If you mean you went into DNS and manually created the entry, that could cause problems down the road if the IP address does change and you forgot that you manually created that entry.

On the DNS tab of the Advanced TCP/IP settings is a checkbox that controls if the connection automatically registers in DNS. Make sure that has not been cleared.

There are settings on the DHCP server to make entries on the DNS but that is usually just set to register on behalf of clients that do not have the capability do register themselves (98 or NT, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back