Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with IP400 and third party fax solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

estarr5

MIS
Dec 8, 2001
US
I am an IT consultant for a company that has the Avaya IP400. They have asked me to find a fax solution for them so they can send and receive faxes in Outlook. They have Exchange 2000 server. We are looking at GFIFax or Faxpress. I feel that their phone consultant is not being very helpful. He said that the Avaya will not be able to hand off a DID to DTMF (a requirement faxpress says we need). I notice that the IP Office has been approved for GFI, Zetafax and others.

I don't know much about the IP Office and its capabilites. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what needs to be done to get a third party fax solution to work. Or atleast, some info I can hand off to the phone consultant.

All help is greatly appreciated.

If your phone consultant is what he says he is then he should know that it is very well possible to use faxserver software on a IP Office.
I would advise you to go for the GFI faxserver as it is real easy to implement, maintain and use.
It fits perfect in a Exchange environment.
If you want more specific information then download the IP Office 3.1 documentation CD from support.avaya.com, it has all the tech info you can get on IP Office.
If downloading is not possible, there is also a online documentation, you can find it here :

Take a look at FaxFinder by MultiTech. It works off of an open analog port. You can buid an incomming call route to a short code. Shortcode will dial analog port and tag it with a number. The number tagged is assotiated with an e-mail address in the FaxFinder. The FaxFinder sends an email of the fax to the e-mail address you asign. To send, just print to the FaxFinder. It will be like a network printer that sends a fax. This might be some thing to look at unless they are set on doing every thing in Outlook.

FaxPress (by Castelle) works fine with IPOffice.

Mark

Or you could get expensive, use Rightfax and a S08, which will provide DNIS...

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Thanks for all the responses and great info. Intrigrant, thanks for the link to the docs. I am going to print out and throw it at the 'phone consultant'. Not sure which solution we will go with yet. But I am in a much better position now to recommend and implement the proper fax solution. Thanks to all who responded.

I think that the fax finder also comes with software to allow faxing from your PC in with the price, which is very affordable ($699.99 for 1 port and $999.99 for two port list)

Yes the IPO will send DMTFF which is set in the "Caller Display Type" in the Extension number.

This will send the DMTFF tone identifying itself to the fax server.

Check out Personal Fax numbers in the documentation listed above which has the how to do, which I think will assist you.

Cheers
Topes

I have used RightFax over a 4 port T1 connection and it works great. Very easy to configure. The only issue is you can not see incoming caller id, but most fax machines do that automaticlly if set up right.

Hope this helps..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back