Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEED HELP WITH IDENTIFICATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayztek

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2009
Hello everyone

I have a HP pavillion Slimline s7320n PC in my lab, the issue is the DVD RW drive has a IDE adapter coming out the back and running to the mobo, HOWEVER the mobo receives this connection on a small ribbon calbe (not a standard IDE cable) its almost like the ribbons on the inverters in laptops, or the cables that connect the keyboards on laptops,

the customers issue is on the adapter on the dvd rw they BROKE the little clasp that holds the ribbon in the pins, so now the ribbon falls out, i can get the BIOS to see the drive if i hold the ribbon in forcefully, but obviously the end solution is to replace that adapter on the back of the DVD RW, i have no clue how to identify it tho

hopefully you can help

Here are a couple photos with a Quarter in them for scale

Ben

I saw some stuff like that on ebay, i was wondering if it would PHYSCIALLY fit in the space allotted, it LOOKS like it has the right connectors

any other thoughts on this?

Only other thing to look at is try a search for the HP spare pn and see if the whole drive with card is available. These are why I love proprietary systems.

Clarke,

Guessing you being sarcastic, i cant locate a HP part #, what im trying to find out is what the hell this thing was called AND NO i wont buy another drive, if i was going to do that i might as well just get another dvd drive with SATA and attach it to the other sata on the mobo

I looked at some of these cards but i cant name the right one to even get one shipped, i made the mistake of finding a "zif" adapter and had it shipped from hong kong, it was the wrong part to say the least, but it only cost me a 1.79 and a 10 day wait

Whats not very professional?

I just found this link it looks like it MIGHT fit it

any thoughts

why wouldnt this adapter board be readily available

AND NO i wont buy another drive" to me sounds unprofessional. As to why it is not readily available, my guess is that HP, never intended that part to be replaced separately from the drive. The link you have there is for an inverter board for a LCD display in a laptop.

oh didnt mean to come across that way, im just saying this is SUPER frustrating, im getting closer

I am using the search term "CD-ROM Paddle" and also " 40 pin IDE to 100mm slimline" but still the problem is all the adapters that look like they would match have female (pins) ends on the board, which as you know will also beo n the dvd drive itself

anyone that can help please chime in

I know something like this is out there, somewhere

well with no leads or even a REAL NAME of this adapter from anyone in the "IT" community, i am going to take a break for tonight, ill pick up the search tomorrow or when a admin sees tis post and says "hey i know what that part is called"

thanks everyone!

The problem here is that the adapter is from a bog standard IDE (40 Pin female) to a ZIF type connector...

most adapters are exactly the opposite of that, in that they attach a ZIF type device to the IDE/SATA cables...

IMHO, take drive out and sell it on eBay or such, and replace the DVD/CD drive with a bog standard SATA model... less hassle in the end run...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

oh, almost forgot, see here as well:

IDE adapter series of Sintech Electronic

or attach the adapter, see below, to the mainboard and then run a standard IDE (40 or 80 wire) cable from that adapter to the CD/DVD drive...

PS: I still think that going with a SATA model drive would be the best option...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

ben, the first adapter located at

looks like it is the opne with the pin holes on the IDE side, that one should fit into the drive IMO, i dont know why i would need the other adapter, lets try to draw this out, i dont want to order the wrong part, and buying that adapter would be cheaper then the other option which is getting a sata DVD RW with lightscribe (not that i would use that) and hooking it up to the extra sata

So i have a IDE with pins (female) coming out of the drive, if i take the adapter in the first link and plug it into the drive the ribbon on the other side SHOULD hook to the mobo, the problem is with these small photos its never easy to tell what the hell your ordering

let me know your thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back