Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with icon issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pxb006

Technical User
Feb 13, 2001
US
I have several workstations that have the wrong icons on the desktop. I don't believe this is a profile issue because it is happening to muliple users on the same machine, including the domain admin. But if I log on to another machine with the domain admin account, all icons are ok. I've tried changing icons with no success. Any ideas would be appreciated.

What icons are they exactly???
You say you changed them, what do you mean?? deleted? re created???

A variety of program icons. No pattern to them. I've tried deleting them and readding. I've also tried recreating them. They always change back to the wrong icon.

You may want to try deleting shelliconcache.dll and letting the system rebuild it on the next boot. These are the steps as explained in MS KB article Q216165.
1. At a command prompt, change to the %SystemRoot% folder.

2. Type "attrib -h shelliconcache" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

3. Type "del shelliconcache" (without the quotation marks), and then press ENTER.

4. Click Start, click Log Off <Username> (where <Username> is the name you used to log on), and then click Yes.

5. Log back on to your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back