Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help with i.t department duties 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboychuck

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2006
US
hi
very new to this. so pardon if i don't follow protocol for awhile. i am a fast learner.
does anyone have any info on i.t department duties?
would appreciate any help whatsoever.
we have been asked to come up with duties, responsibilties,
and set up policy for about a 150 employee company with 8 locations.
thanx

now THERES something that is still in debate in most companies :)
Most places take the view of: if its cmputer-related, then its part of IT. That means support, procurement, disposal, hardware, software and everything in between.

How much detail are you looking for in this?

My company takes the view that IT remains with IT - users are simply users. They have no real control over anything. If they want a bit of software, they ask us, and we evaluate and make a decision. Even for so-called "business critical" issues, IT generally gets the last word. As long as we comply with out particular industry regulations, we're ok.

Scotsdude[bravo]

Have a look at this to get the noodles cooking;
Assist with the purchasing and implementation of IT based information solutions.
Monitoring network and other IT related resources to ensure resources meets demand.
Carrying out updates and patches to the Network.
Create and Maintain accurate network documentation, including an internal knowledge base of Helpdesk issues
Provide efficient and timely support for all desktop hardware and software and implementation, upgrade or replacement equipment.
Maintain essential levels of IT system maintenance and housekeeping in line with agreed SLA. (i.e. ensure uptime)
Upgrading and maintenance of library of software applications and user licences.
Implement and review IT audit procedures and IT Policies.
Set, amend and delete user access, password and rights across the IT system.
Ensure compliance with licensing laws and any legislation affecting IT users and the business.
Ensure all aspects of the network are documented and that the documention is current.

I would have a look at job sites and get some job specs and steal their definitions.

Iain

Most importantly though ensure your department understands that you are there to support the company, the company is not there to support IT.

Customer is king! Except that guy in Marketing!!!!!!

thanx
spirit and scotsdude your replies were most helpful.
i am very impressed with your fast responses.

You can always comb the job web sites, such as careerbuilder, monster, and others and just see what employers have listed for the people that they are wanting to hire. That will definitely get you started with a bunch of rough draft stuff...

GVN

Cant forget the important duty of training security conscious users to efficiently use their applications and access the networks. It is also important policy that the department build a positive repoir with its users. Computer management is also people management (since you are managing users right?) except you dont have ride people for being late to work.....IT department guys get to have "fun" with the users....crack computer jokes (its always good to make the user laugh while supporting them) monitor them electronically, etc....When a user accidently launches a virus, even when trained properly it still can happen, the user will have a sad puppy dog look in their eye, or feel really really stupid and they will punish themselves so you dont even have to ride them like that nagging boss they dislike...The IT department guys are the good guys, the eyes and ears, and the heroes of any real company......On a daily basis, if there is some downtime here and there....monitor log files, log your time,analyze your performance baseline, evaluate proposed network expansions, research, research, research, but dont forget to spend plenty of time keeping a good repoir with the users because afterall, the IT department doesnt manage just computers, it manages people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back