Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help with Group Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyBoy01

Technical User
Jun 10, 2003
AU
Hi,

I hope someone can assist me with this issue I am having. I not sure watn you need to know, so here goes...

I have two PC set up. One installed with Win2k Server, the other Win2k Proffessional. Both are connection via Ethernet NIC's and have TCP/IP installed.

I have set up the Server to be PDC and I am running a DHCP server and domain Server on it also. I have set up three roaming profiles on the server which enable me to log on to domain I have created(even though I have only one machine to log on from.)

When I log onto the Server as with the Administrator account, I open Active Directory Users and Computers. I right click on the domain name at the top of the left hand column, and click on properties.

This brings up the Properties for my domain, I click the far left TAB (Group Policy), it comes up with a message and three options. I click use the available Domain controller. The a pop up box appears stating "Failed to find a domain controller. There may be a policy that prevents you from selecting another domain controller". The confusses me as I'm logged on as Administrator, so I should have full rights ?? I have adjusted any of the Administrator account settings...

Any help or hints would be create!!

cheers,

D-Boy01

What DNS server is listed on your NIC?

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Both Machines are hooked up to a gateway router for internet access.

The Server has the gateway router as Primary, and a external DNS server of my ISP for secondary.

The Client (from DHCP) gets issued same DNS settings.

Thanks for the prompt reply Hewissa

D-Boy01

Specify the Servers DNS as the primary. ISP as secondary and the router's IP as the gateway.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

I had a similiar problem.. how many NIC cards do you have on the server... if you have more than one...

check the binding order of your adapters. Make note of which adapter is your LAN adapter. Right click on Network places and select properties. Select the advanced menu and then choose advanced settings. In the first window make sure your lan adapter is listed first.

This fixed the issue i had...

Bill

I only have one NIC running on the server.

I tried key in the keying in the DNS server as the primary, and the ISP as the secondary. The router was already set up as the gateway. Still no change on the original issue.

If you have anymore ideas, please, you help would be great!

D-Boy01

Make sure you have the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service running on the DC. It should be set as automatic. I disabled that once and it caused all kinds of problems, one of which was similar to what you are getting. Also check the event viewer and see what errors you are getting. Hope this helps.

Mark

I have this same issue. I have two DC's one with only one NIC and another DC/RAS with Two NIC's. I believe that this problem has to do with the Server with two NIC's. I dont remember having this problem when both Servers had only one Network card. I tried everything that Q257435 stated to do but still didn't work. Please help!

Acquisitive - 1. Characterized by a strong desire to gain and possess. 2. Tending to acquire and retain ideas or information :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back