Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help With GPO's & Windows MSI's

Status
Not open for further replies.

detroit

MIS
Sep 13, 2002
CA
Does anyone have ANY help and tips / Walkthru's that can help me with setting up an MSI to install automatically?

I'm trying to install software to a specific group of PC's (XT Laptops) and can't get it to work no matter what I do.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance....

Detroit

Well what are you doing? Maybe from that we can tell what could be wrong..
Anyways..
You can use WINSTALL included in Windows 2000 server CD (Not under that name) to make the MSI. Once you have it, you go to your Organizational UNit (lets say LAPTOPGROUP)(where you have all those laptop users included), and right click on it.You will see atab that says GROUP POLICY , add a new policy and you will see a "+"sign SAying Software INstallation, there you Add the software (The MSI you already made), and thats about all. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

I've done all that. Setup an OU as XP Laptops, clicked on properties, group policies, created a new policy called PCA. Clicked on Edit. Under COmputer configuration, Software settings, software install, I Clicked on new package. Pointed to the .MSI file using a UNC Path \\fileserver\dist\pca.msi, set it as an assigned deployment, then closed the MMC. When I startup the laptop, the package does not run.

Also, If I do a gpresult on the workstation after logging in, it says that PCA was applied under group policy objects, under computer settings.....

Detroit,

Did you make sure that you can get to the network share that contains the package from the user account you logged in with? If not - then you need to modify the permissions on the share.

HTH!

--James

I've got it to work, but I have to leave the PC that is going to receive the GPO off for at least 10 minutes before the GPO runs. Any ideas why? Is there a default time of 10 minutes to wait? Can this be changed?

Thanks

Detroit

By default, the client gets updated GPOs every 15 minute.
In large organizations you have to count 15 times the number of AD servers.

Best Regards
Wibbe

Detroit,

To manually refresh policy - issue the secedit /refreshpolicy command in the run window.

--James

OK, seem to have that working....

Next Question...

Koquito, you mentioned running WINSTALL on the W2K server CD to make an MSI, I cannot find it. Can you tell me where it is?

Thanks

Detroit

Thanks....

Next Question....

We're running XP Pro and 2K Pro workstations. Do I have to create a separate MSI package for each O/S?

Thanks

Detroit

You shouldn't have to create separate installers for both. I create packages at work all the time using Wise Package Studio 3.2 and they work on Win98 through WinXP. Of course it depends on the software that you're installing. If the software doesn't support Windows XP and it does Windows 2000 then it won't matter if you createa a separate package.

Just think of it as an EXE - except better.

--James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back