Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with datagrid, listbox and textbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovevbsomuchimmad

Programmer
Feb 5, 2007
GB
Hi, on a form I have a datagrid, list box, a button and a textbox. It is all linked to a database (Used access). In the database there are 2 columns, the first is the type of item, and the other columns is the amount in stock. The listbox shows the type of item, and the textbox shows the amount in stock. The button alters the values in the textbox (amount in stock) but the same value does not get altered in the datagrid, I was hoping somebody could help me out with the coding if that is possible. Im sorry if you haven’t understood, if you require any additional information please just ask.

Thanks

If you read that post properly you would understand its two different posts
I couldn't really understand your first post. This post is a little clearer and looks to be the same question to me.

I'm still curious if this is practice or school.

[sub]____________ signature below ______________
The worst mistake you'll ever make is to do something simply the way you know how while ignoring the way it should be done[/sub]

Alright, guess it really doesn't matter at this point.

Bottom line is your original post (as well as it would go with this one) was answered perfectly. You need to go out and learn some well rounded methods of how to utilize VB.NET and the control/objects etc.. that accompany the .NET framework. After that point you should have enough to get yourself going. Then after that if you have problems with what you have already starting designing, everyone here would be more than happy to lend a hand. We can't do the work for you but can only give you the best knowledge we have. That knowledge in this case is start reading and trying this on your own. Google is a great resource as well. You'll probably want to use it to find the most efficient ways to use each of those controls you mentioned.

btw...VB is not VB.NET. You'll fall a sudden death if you come at VB.NET as a VB6 (and previous) programmer.

[sub]____________ signature below ______________
The worst mistake you'll ever make is to do something simply the way you know how while ignoring the way it should be done[/sub]

Well I did post a reply to your thread thats been removed so lets start again! :(

I have a few tips and my first one, as onpnt correctly suggests is buy a good book and study it well.
I read this book and found it to a BIG help getting to grips with the new techiniques in ADO.Net after migrating from VB6, it also included a companion CD which is full of examples. It has now been replaced by his new ADO 2.0 book, but at the time I ended up buying it for £10 on ebay when it was on sale in a local book shop for £50.

There is nothing worse than trying to answer questions for somebody who looks as though they are just starting .Net. We are all willing to help but by looking at the posts you have submitted recently, you are obviously struggling with ADO as a whole.

TIP2: This is one mother of a TOP TEK TIP created specially for you!! visit this link and download the project I have created. It shows you the add number scenario that you were asking about. Not often will you find that people will give you the whole answer but I remember how hard it was when I as starting out and wished somebody would give me that little extra bit of help.

Remember to thank forum members for what help they offer, you gain respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back