Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help with assigning printer security to 200+ printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkbyte

Technical User
Sep 20, 2002
US
I have 5 servers with localy defigned IP printers about 130 printers on each server.

I have search the net all weekend and looked through WMI and can't seem to find anything that will allow me to add a Domain Global Group to each of the printers on a server. This group needs to be granted Full priviledges, this group is used to grant Printer support full access to the printers.

Does anyone know how I could get this done. I really don't want to have to manually set the security settings on each printer.

Thanks

John Fuhrman
Titan Global Services

No need to script it, this is just a few keyboard and mouse clicks.

Open the Printers applet ont he server. Press Ctrl+A to select all printers. Right click and choose Properties. Click the Security tab. You can now add the same group to all printers at once.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

It's a built in group for this. Both in the domain and on the server. User print-operators built in group and you're home free. Just add the domain global group named print operators to the local group print operators at the server. Add the domain users to which is going to operate the printers to the doman global group. That's it.

I assume you're running a Windows 2000 domain/server or higher. If you're running Windows NT 4.0 I can't remember what to do. Haven't touched it in almost six years. Btw, if you're running Windows 2003 on the printservers I would reccomend you to upgrade it to R2 and use the new print manager. It's an awsome tool to manage printers.

Sorry, after 20 years I tend to make too many assumptions..

Back ground details.

The servers are all win2k3 terminal servers.

All patches are current and SP1 has been applied to all servers.

We have not upgraded the servers to R2 or exteded the AD.

We also have very restrictive group policices for everyone except administrative users.

I'll have to look into the print operators group a little further.

Thanks Everyone.

Thanks

John Fuhrman
Titan Global Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back