Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help with a BSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2003
US
I have a computer (Windows XP) that is infected with a few different virus. the problem is I can't get into the system to fix them.
When booting up, the system starts up normal the anti-virus program catches the virus and lets me know about them and continues to load the rest of the programs. After about a minute or so I get a BSD with the stop error of 0x000000E8 I have no idea how to get around this so I can fix it. I've tried logging in as the administrator of the system but I can't find the virus when I do a scan. I can only find them when I log in as a user. I've already checked the HD for errors and found none.
Anyone have any ideas on how I can get around this to fix it?

Have you tried to use safe mode/administrator and restore to a point before today?

Best Regards,
David Tracy

yes, I have tried to restore to a different point but that didn't work.
I guess I should say that this computer isn't mine. It was given to me to fix other issues but I can't even get to them until I get this to boot without issues.
I don't have time to do anything on the system. It's gotten to the point where I can't even click OK to the virus windows before it dies. So far I have had enough time to see that the system detects at least 4 different virus forms and then blue screens.
I've tried taking the HD out and put it in another system to clean the virus but it doesn't detect all of them.

Do you get any further in Safe Mode, is it able to complete a scan in Safe Mode? If you remove the drive again or if you access it via Safe Mode do try more than one virus scanner as some miss what others detect.

You might be able to make use of BartPE (a mini XP self contained on a bootable CD and run from CD) which includes virus scanners via plugins.

The same might be possible with a parallel install of XP.

266465 - HOW TO: Perform a Parallel Installation of Windows 2000

You can do the same with XP. Don't install any unnecessary programs just some virus scanners, keep the parallel installation as simple as possible.

Or the paragraph in this article.

"To install Windows XP to a new folder (to perform a parallel installation):"

How to install or upgrade to Windows XP

If it all gets too much there is always Format and Reinstall to consider.

This is almost certainly a virus or other malware.
If you can use Safe Mode with networking, do so and run the scans from Trend Micro and Panda:
If you cannot do even that, create an Ultimate Boot CD image and use the various antivirus scanners included:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back