Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

wadesters

Technical User
Jul 3, 2003
US
i just picked up a used computer with windows 2000 pro. installed. problem is there is NO users on the computer. can't log on. would like to reinstall 2000 or install xp. can't get cd's to boot up. can someone tell me how to log on to this computer or how to install either of these programs thanks

Try using Administrator for the username with a blank password.

If you have an XP or win2000 CD and the PC doesnt start when inserting the CD, you can try two things :

1) go into the BIOS and make the CD the first bootable device, then start the PC with the Win2000/XP CD and run the setup

2) Create Bootfloppies (4 diskettes) from the CD (there is a utility on there soewheres) and boot the PC from Floppy disks

Wadesters,

Maybe I'm missing something here but why not just use a 98 boot disk and run Winnt.exe from the i386 folder off the installation CD?

Patty [ponytails2]

Good call Patty! Of course, it would be beneficial to invoke smartdrv.exe first ;)

John

I generally do not read all of the posts so if I am repeating anyone please let me know

Simplest solution would be to find anouther machine insert your win2k cd and make some boot floppies using Start, Run and type E:\bootdisk\makeboot a: (where E: is your CD-ROM drive letter).

Anouther simple solution would be to locate a copy of NTFSDOS Pro, boot to a NTFSDOS boot disk and copy cmd.exe to logon.scr. boot the system and wait for the default screen saver to execute when it does use net use to change the administrator password if no users exist you can also create a user here

Sam Land

Go to BIOS setup and configure the boot sequence. First boot-up order should be the CD-rom drive, then A: or C:(whatever). You posted this last July 3rd so I think you already figured out a solution and you're doing just fine:).

or if the system has FAT32 partitions just use a Win98 boot disk to copy cmd.exe to logon.scr
E.G.
c:\winnt\system32>copy cmd.exe logon.scr
reboot system and wait for default screen saver to execute at logon prompt. "takes a long time"
when it runs you have access to the command prompt from here use &quot;net user administrator <new_password>&quot;
if the system has a NTFS partion you will need a copy of NTFSDOS Pro to read the file system from boot disk

I would like to thank everyone for the info.....I haven't had a chance to get back to the computer yet......but after some of the answers I was given here I feel like DUHH I should have thought of that I guess I wasn't looking at the big picture...thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back