Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help where to send laptop to be opened to put new hard drive in u 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcruise3230

Technical User
May 3, 2005
US

Dear members:

does any one know please where do isend my laptop to be opened to take out the old hd and put a new hd in? (checked bestbuy, circui tcity, staples, and my nearest toshiba laptop providers: all do it for at least 70 dollars just for taking out hd and installing a new one!)?
Also, can you tell me how to open up a laptop or articles that do show you how step by step and other things? please let me know as soon as u can! thank you very much

mine is toshiba 1400-s151 laptop and sorry to say but user manual doesn't give any direction on how to open up and take out the hard drive. therefore do u know any article online that might help or where i canget service for that in staten island, NY under 40 dollars? thank you very much

The bad news is that, indeed, Toshiba wants you to send your laptop to them for repair. The not quite so bad news is that maybe someone has the pages you want and a new HD. Google found me and perusal of that page found me the following quote:

"Toshiba used to make its service manuals available for purchase in printed form, but in the last few years Toshiba has changed its policy and its service manuals are now available to Toshiba-authorized dealers only. The good thing is that in most cases, if you purchase a repair or replacement part from one of the premier Toshiba Authorized Service Providers (ASPs), such as MicroSolutions the ASP will include copies of the relevant pages from the service manual describing in detail the procedure for removing the old part and installing the new one in the system."

At the price you want to pay, it seems you already have the new HD. I wouldn't trust anyone who'd open a laptop--and promise he could close it again--for less than $100.

Maybe a careful reading of the article quoted--and a glance at the "Detailed Specifications" page for your laptop at the Toshiba site so you open the right hole--might help.

I went through 5 pages of Google, and this is all I've got. Unless some repairman takes pity on you, more is probably unavailable. Good luck.

Sloth is the mother of invention. Necessity is just a mother...

thanks for the link and information it really helps:) about checking toshiba site for my laptop, i did do that but it does't give me any information how to take it out (just says take it to your nearest provider to help u out) therefore,i believe, i really have to dismantle the laptop or open in half in order toget the hd out. therefore, can you tell me please how do u do that (any information will help:)) thank u very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back