Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help w/ code. Want to add a WHERE, but does not work 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvital

Technical User
Jul 2, 2003
US
Hi All,

I have the following code I am wanting to add a WHERE clause and I have tried adding it almost everywhere, but it does not work. I don't get an error, but don't get what I want.

Private Sub cmdViewSources_Click()
wherestring = vbNullString
If IsNull(txtSourceKeyword) Then

FormIndex.RowSource = "SELECT tbl_material_description.[HOMOG_MATERIAL_ID], tbl_material_description.[BUILDING_ID] FROM tbl_material_description ORDER BY tbl_material_description.[HOMOG_MATERIAL_ID];"

Else
strWildcard = txtSourceKeyword

wherestring = "WHERE(((tbl_material_description.[HOMOG_MATERIAL_ID]) like ""*" & strWildcard & "*""))"
FormIndex.RowSource = "SELECT tbl_material_description.[HOMOG_MATERIAL_ID], tbl_material_description.[BUILDING_ID] FROM tbl_material_description " & wherestring & " ORDER BY tbl_material_description.[HOMOG_MATERIAL_ID];"

End If
End Sub

I have a list box and it gives me the results I want. Basically, the materials per building. Now when I do a search on the list box with or without wildcards I want it to also give me the materials for just one building. Right now when I click on the cmd button (code above). I get all the materials for all the buildings.

The record source for the list box is the following and again it gives me what I want; SELECT tbl_material_description.HOMOG_MATERIAL_ID, tbl_material_description.BUILDING_ID FROM tbl_material_description WHERE tbl_material_description.BUILDING_ID=forms!frm_main_data_entry.building_id ORDER BY tbl_material_description.HOMOG_MATERIAL_ID;

So, I want to add the WHERE above to the cmd button code so it too gives me the materials for the particular building I am on.

Hope it makes sense.

thanks a BUNCH!

Hiya, mvital,

How about this:
Code:
strWildcard = "*" & txtSourceKeyword & "*"

wherestring = "WHERE(((tbl_material_description.[HOMOG_MATERIAL_ID]) like [highlight]'[/highlight]" & strWildcard & "[highlight]'[/highlight]))"
You need to delimit text variables with single quotes in VBA, as highlighted above.

HTH,

Ken S.

Thank you Ken. I have it working, but it does not give me only the materials for a particular building. I want to incorporate in this WHERE clause :
wherestring = "WHERE(((tbl_material_description.[HOMOG_MATERIAL_ID]) like '" & strWildcard & "'))"

this WHERE clause:

WHERE tbl_material_description.BUILDING_ID=forms!frm_main_data_entry.building_id

Can't get the syntax just right so that it says the first where and where sencond where??

Any ideas?

How about an AND clause?
Code:
strWildcard = "*" & txtSourceKeyword & "*"

wherestring = "WHERE (tbl_material_description.[HOMOG_MATERIAL_ID] like '" & strWildcard & "') " _
    & "AND (tbl_material_description.BUILDING_ID = " & forms!frm_main_data_entry!building_id & "))"
This assumes building_id is numeric data. If it is text, you will need to delimit the form/field reference with single quotes as we did with strWildcard.

HTH,

Ken S.

It did not work this time it gave me no results. Now the HOMOG MATERIAL ID is text but has '-' in it i.e. BBA-01. I seem to remember a hyphen is a special key so I need to refer to it differently.

Thanks for continuing to help!!! :)

mvital,

You say that this where string by itself returns records, but adding the AND clause returns nothing?
Code:
wherestring = "WHERE(((tbl_material_description.[HOMOG_MATERIAL_ID]) like '" & strWildcard & "'))"
If that is so, then there is no problem with the hyphen. The hyphen does also serve as the subtraction operator, but as far as I know, as long as the hyphen is within a text string there is no problem. What *does* cause problems is when the standard delimiters - single quotes, double quotes, pound sign - are used improperly in text strings.

You did not address one item in my previous post: is building_id numeric or text? The answer will affect the syntax.

Ken S.

Thanks again Ken. The building_id is text; alpha numeric info can be captured. I did add the single quotes and it still did not work.

How are ya mvital . . .
mvital said:
[blue] If [purple]IsNull[/purple](txtSourceKeyword) Then[/blue]
A string can't be [blue]Null![/blue] It can be a [blue]Null String[/blue] or [purple]""[/purple]. So IsNull fails if [blue]txtSourceKeyword[/blue] is empty! [thumbsup2]

Try this:
Code:
[blue]Private Sub cmdViewSources_Click()
   Dim SQL As String, Cri As String, strWildcard As String
   Dim prp As Property, ID As String, DQ As String

Set prp = FormIndex.Properties("RowSource")
   DQ = """"
   SQL = "SELECT TMD.[HOMOG_MATERIAL_ID], TMD.[BUILDING_ID] " & _
         "FROM tbl_material_description AS TMD "

If Trim(txtSourceKeyword & "") <> "" Then
      ID = DQ & Forms!frm_main_data_entry!building_id & DQ
      strWildcard = DQ & "*" & strWildcard & "*" & DQ
      Cri = "WHERE ((TMD.building_id = " & ID & ") AND " & _
                   "(TMD.[HOMOG_MATERIAL_ID] LIKE " & strWildcard & ")) "
      SQL = SQL & Cri
   End If

prp = SQL & "ORDER BY TMD.[HOMOG_MATERIAL_ID];"

Set prp = Nothing

End Sub[/blue]
[blue]Your Thoughts? . . .[/blue]

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Thanks Ken and "TheAceMan1".

I tried your code TheAceMan1 and I broken down for my benefit to make sure I understand what it is doing; I am new to programming, but learning a lot from this group and by having to do it on my own.

I tested the code; I put some breaks and step into the code. I searched for homog_material_id = BBA* for the BUILDING_ID = Garage. When I clicked on the cmd button it did nothing. I can see all the results for the building id I requested. I want to go one step further and if I search for BBA*; I want to see the materials for garage that start with BBA*.

Here's what I found when I tested.

prp = to the SQL - OK
DQ = """"
SQL = ""
If Trim txtSourceKeyword = "BBA*" - OK
ID = ""
strWildcard = ""
Cri = ""
SQL = SQL & Cri = ""
prp = SQL code

So why all the "" from the ID part of the code?

Thank you both for all your help!

The Garage has the following materials:
BBA-01
CB-01
DW-01

When the txtSourceKeyword = "BBA*"
The list box (FormIndex) should only show me "BBA-01". With the code above I see BBA-01, CB-01, and DW-01.

mvital . . .
Code:
[blue][purple][b]Change:[/b][/purple]
      strWildcard = DQ & "*" & strWildcard & "*" & DQ
[purple][b]To:[/b][/purple]
      strWildcard = DQ & [purple][b]txtSourceKeyword[/b][/purple] & DQ[/blue]
This change removes wildcards appended by code leaving you to include them in [purple]txtSourceKeyword[/purple].

Next add the following Debug.Print line where you see it:
Code:
[blue]   prp = SQL & "ORDER BY TMD.[HOMOG_MATERIAL_ID];"
   [purple][b]Debug.Print prp[/b][/purple][/blue]
Set a breakpoint on the line following Debug.Print, run the code and post back the results from the immediate window . . .

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Hi TheAceMan1

Thank you SO much for continuing to work this through with me.

SELECT TMD.[HOMOG_MATERIAL_ID], TMD.[BUILDING_ID] FROM tbl_material_description AS TMD WHERE ((TMD.building_id = "Garage") AND (TMD.[HOMOG_MATERIAL_ID] LIKE "bb*")) ORDER BY TMD.[HOMOG_MATERIAL_ID];

I took the breakpoint and it worked!!! Yeah!! Yeah!! You just made my weekend! Thanks a bunch!

mvital . . .

Don't forget to remove the [blue]Debug.Print[/blue] line. Its just for troubleshooting which I'm sure you'll make great use of in the future . . .

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back