Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help (voicemail light not working, getting strange message instead of voicemails) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahcap

Technical User
Apr 29, 2022
CA
Hi everyone I apologize in advance I have no idea what I'm doing and need help

My Nortel Networks phone showed our previous admin's name for the voicemail on the admin's (my) phone and my boss asked me to change it to my name. I figured out how to do this but ever since then, the new voicemail indicator does not work (it doesn't display that there's a new message and the light doesn't come on) and when I press the "Voicemail" shortcut button it always says I have no new messages even when I do. I have to manually enter Feature 981 and then input my mbox number and password to access my new voicemail messages

I've been trying to fix this to no avail and now seem to have made things worse. I get some voicemail messages (I still have to go through Feature 981 to access them), but some messages are an automated voice saying "the system was unable to reach the number you specified for message notification" and I have no idea what I've done to make this happen or how to fix it

Please any help you can provide is greatly appreciated, I don't know where else to go, we have no IT team this is a small office and I need to get this fixed

Please let me know if you need any more details or information

You did not mention but will presume you were programming through F983?
Just after the Name is
Directory make it Yes (Y)
MSG Waiting make it Yes (Y) <---maybe you turned this off?
Outdial make it No (N)

Off Premise Notification is s feature to call your mobile if you get a message.
"the system was unable to reach the number you specified for message notification"
It could mean one of these two:
1. If it was not able to get a hold of you on the mobile after the X amount of set attempts
2. There was an issue with Outidal or the number entered as the mobile.

Off Premise Notification is turned of and on within the users mailbox (press 8 or ADMIN then 6 and turn it off)
It will not be available if you have Outdial disabled in F983 (administration)

when I press the "Voicemail" shortcut button it always says I have no new messages even when I do
If you mean pressing one of your programmable buttons then it's not possible for it to tell you anything as you need to login first.
The Message notice is also for the poor mans vmail where another user can send the message using Feature 1 then your ext #....to see who left the message use Feature 65, then F#65 to clear the display message.
Feature *3, then press the button to be programmed
Then enter Feature 981 (to open mailbox)
If you now press that button or manually do F981 they will both prompt you to log in.

Norstar System Coordinator Guide is the admin guide for the phone system
Norstar Setup & Operation Guide is the admin guide for the voicemail system
Norstar Voicemail Reference Guide (not the quick guide) is for the full features of the mailbox

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thank you so much for your help!! Yes I am programming through F983

I went and turned off the Off Premise Notification, I don't know how I even turned that on to begin with, we do not have a mobile to forward messages to. Hopefully this fixes that problem! Is there a way I can test this?

I checked these settings:

Directory make it Yes (Y)
MSG Waiting make it Yes (Y) <---maybe you turned this off?
Outdial make it No (N)

And they all match up with what you said to put them to, although the Outdial option is set to <none>. I tried leaving a test message for myself and the notification/light still don't come up :(

Off Prem - Hopefully this fixes that problem! Is there a way I can test this?
Just leave a message into the problem mailbox and see if it tries to grab a line to dial out.

Message Notification

FYI - Feature * 0 = button inquiry
verify your DN (ext #):
Do Feature * 0 then press your intercom key at the far right lowest key or one up and note what you see on the display[/b]

In F983 Mbox/Chg use that ext #, then navigate to EXT: and see if it matches.

Note that in most case:
-Reception sets use the General Delivery mailbox which is mailbox 10, 100 or 1000 depending on your DN length.
Example: You might see in Mailbox 100 it is EXT:221
-All others mailbox numbers match the DN (Ext#) of the phone.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

It's fixed! My ext # was 110, somehow I had changed it to 100

You are my hero!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back