Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help to uninstall Windows Messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

pl2959

MIS
Sep 9, 2003
US
I run:
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Then, I got error message: Advanced INF install (OCX 16422 failed)

I tried to uninstall from windows uninstall under add/remove program, I saw two windows messager. I cannot uncheck "windows messager" one of them.

Thanks.

Your method is fine, but will fail as you experienced if Messenger is running, or you have enabled any features that are dependent on the service being installed.

The dependent services: Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing features in MSN Messenger 6 from working (this is why the "official" methods won't fully remove it).

It would be better to use the SP1 feature in Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Set Program Access and Defaults, to disable Messenger rather than remove it.

To total remove MSN Messenger, you need to first make Messenger appear in Add/Remove programs.
· Edit the file \Windows\Inf\sysoc.inf
· Change msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7
To msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

compgirlfhredi,

The sysoc.inf file will not work if SP1 is applied. As Extreme Tech notes: "Alas, this isn't perfect. on some systems, you simply won't be able to remove Windows Messenger - Windows Messenger won't show up on the Windows Component Wizard even after you edit the sysoc.inf file. And some components such as Terminal Server will show up in the wizard if you edit the sysoc.inf file, but the wizard still won't let you uninstall them."

The last time I picked up a copy of XP Pro back in June, was an Acedemic Upgrade version, after initial install, Messenger never came up! Has anyone else seen this? Did M$ actually stop Messenger from loading by default in the newer releases?

Just for anyone who is curious, I have XP Pro with SP1a installed, and I was able to completely remove Windows Messenger through Add/Remove programs by editing the sysoc.inf file.

I also removed Windows Messenger on both XP Home and XP Pro just this week both with all updates by editing the sysoc.inf file and Add/Remove windows Components

I edited sysoc.inf and I remove windows messenger from add/remove. Worked. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back