Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help to remove ACPI )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorgie

Technical User
Aug 6, 2002
US
Hello all,

I recently came across faq616-971 ( and followed the all the instructions in order to remove the ACPI in favor of IRQ steering. Everything went as planned except that once the machine rebooted ACPI was still listed under Device manager.

Im running w2k sp3 and really need the flexibility of IRQ steering. Any ideas? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help

The only solution I know of is for you to re-install with a little tweaking. On the setup disk, there should be a file called

txtsetup.sif

In this file there should be two entries for ACPI:
ACPIBiosDate
ACPIEnable

For ACPIEnable, the default setting is 2 - here's the definitions for the settings:

0 - ACPI Disabled
1 - ACPI enabled if ACPI Bios detected
2 - ACPI enabled if the Bios falls into two catagories ACPI Compliant and if it falls within the ACPIBoisDate setting

A clean installation of W2k is necessary according to MS to get rid of ACPI. They had an article that said an in-place upgrade would not work because of major registry changes that the original ACPI installation had made.
What did work for me was to disable Advanced Power Configuration in the BIOS and then clean install W2k. THe official MS procedure though is posted in the previous reply.

Thanks for both replies. I decided to go with a fresh install and indeed IRQ steering has replaced ACPI so I'm set. Wait a minute..guess not, lol.

I clicked on "computer" under device manager and unchecked all three boxes from bottom up as directed by the faq and rebooted the machine. Now clicking on resources for any device still yields a greyed out box. In other words I still can't manage my own IRQ settings. on top of that my NIC and SBLive drivers which were sharing IRQ 9 are now coming up with an question mark next to the icons.

I know I'm on the right track but something is still amiss. Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks again for your input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back