Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help to delete a trojan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach04

Technical User
Jun 21, 2004
DK
Hi,
My PC have been recently hit by some trojans which I cant delete. I am using McAffee as antivirus along with some other antispyware programs and they havent been able to do the job for me. So far McAffee has detected these trojans but it cant remove them all. I have beem using a program as Killbox by someone who suggested and it helped to delete some, but there is this kind which I have problem deleting.
This one is kept under system32 folder:
__0034DFD.dat

Can someone help me hoe to delete this.
thanks in advance

Have you tried scanning, and even deleting from Safe Mode, as the Built-in Administrator?

What happens (messages) when you try to delete the file?

have you explored what else might be online via the likes of the Hijackthis resources online? some of the other AV vendors might offer a solution... would suggest some intensive googling ...... the website hosting the Hijackthis application might be a good start, does addaware and/or spybot (search and destroy) suggest anything?

Dr B

Having a name to that bugger would be also helpful, e.g. what does McAffee call that critter?

as suggested, go to the TrendMicro website and download HiJackThis, run a scan with log, paste that LOG here for our perusal...

make sure that HJT is running in its own folder (e.g. C:/Program Files/HiJackThis)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I could remove this by using SuperAntispyware, I am amazed that a freeware program can easily solve such issue and the antivirus from Mcaffee which is purchased fail to do its job.
Thanks for your replies and your contribuitions.
My suggestion to all is have a lot of various antispyware on your machine, and use them frequently even if they are freeware!

McAfee and Norton are not the "end all-do all" tprograms that they would like you to believe. Freeware programs are not necessarily a bad thing. But I'd be real careful about having several spyware programs of your system. You may not get hit with spyware, etc but you may find that your poor system is bogged down by them to the point where you cna't do much of anything.

--
JP

McAfee commonly offer alternative processes to deal with trojans outisde of their mainstream AV & "anti-whatever" programmes as the trojans commonly have processes built into them to prevent visits to AV online resources and block commonly applied solutions SO this can sometimes favour less mianstream fixes that the skilled (sic) trojan author has blocked.... My McAfee total protection for small businesses combined with regular runs of addaware and/or spybot (search and destroy) have worked for me over the last few years....

Dr B

All you need running in the back ground is one AV and one Software Firewall (e.g. Comodo also checks for Registry and system file changes, while it is running)...

all the AntiMalware progs, e.g. SpyBot, SuperAntiSpyware, AdAware can be done manually...

this will keep the system from being bogged down...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

McAfee has been reported to have poor detection rates recently. I would think of Avira, Avast, NOD or Kaspersky as better alternatives, Avira and Avast are both free for home/personal use. Superantispyware is a great piece of software, it saved my a** recently as well. I suggest you switch to the above mentioned AVs and run "Threatfire or BOClean" as well. Having a firewall is a must as well, like Comodo or Zonealarm both free as well.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back