Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help to Automate Export Process!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBBB

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2001
US
I am trying to automate a file download process using Microstrategy (v.7.2.1) and Access (v.97). I have multiple reports set up which run fine, but do take several hours. I currently schedule them to run overnight so that they are waiting for me in the morning. However, to export the results to Access, it appears that I need to open each report, then export manually and this takes forever. Ideally, I would like the downloading to occur automatically into Access after the report runs, where I would then kick off a macro that would perform further data manipulations not possible in Microstrategy. Has anyone else tried this and is it possible? TIA!
D

D,

One thing you might try is to instead of downloading the reports into access make the reports datamarts and then use access to read the tables themselves from your database into Access. The importing of the data should be much faster and then you can also write a macro that would load them all automatically.

D, in addition to reisw's suggestion, you can also set up the datamart to be your specific Access database. You will need to create a new database instance.

out of curiosity, why do your reports take a few hours to run? Are there lots of analysis or are you just table scanning a large fact table? Seems like long running reports...

The reports I am running are at the lowest levels of data - down to the SKU/store level and over time. Not everyone has Microstrategy access here so until they do, I need to extract this data to feed the old reports which are still in Access. The datamart solution sounds viable and I will have to start tinkering with it. Thanks for the info!
D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back