Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help to ADD disk in Current Raid 5 Array?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatchai

Technical User
Nov 4, 2006
HK
newbie need to know how to add new disk in the current raid 5 array... !

A. current raid 5 array had 4 disks online + 1 hot swap at 100GB each. the raid controller card version is 6i.

B. i would like to add 2 more 100GB to expand the current size of the Raid 5 array.

i would like the correct seq to do it ?
here is my understanding after i read some suggestions here :

1. Add 2 new drives into any free disk slot in my server.

2. start the IBM Raid manager in windows environment

3. then i should be able to see 2 new drives with "ready" status ...

4. what should i do now in the server raid manager? can anyone provide more detail procedures? thank in advance.

Click the Help button on the menu bar of ServeRAID Manager. Type "add capacity" into the search bar and click search. Select 'adding physical drives into an existing array' and it will tell you exactly how to do it.

We did this last week and though I only heard it from my colleague it's right-clicking either the array or the disks and there's an option similar to 'add to array' .. or 'expand array' or something like that. Be prepared this may take quite a few hours to complete! Data will still be available but very slow...

Sorry I can't be more precise.. but I don't have a testing system nearby with that kind of hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back