Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help setting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolagal985

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2013
US
I am fairly new to this and have received help here before so thought I would come and get some clarification on my system and some settings I'd like to change. First what I have right now is the phone rings and if no one answers after 5 rings it goes to voice mail. The message saved in the general delivery mailbox is very long and people complain about it.

So my first question is in the Mbox (981) what is the difference between prime/alt greeting and how do you turn them off/on if you want different greetings to play for different occasions/times? Secondly, what is different between system answer and auto attendant?

Next, I'd like to be able to have the Auto Attendant pick up if no one answers after 3 rings. For instance:

3 rings, AA, please press 1 if you know your ext, 2 for directions, hours, location, 3 to get a quote of if you need service and 0 to speak to an operator. (trying to buy time so they can get off the other line if needed). They press option 3 for instance to get a quote. It should ring the phones again (place them on hold). If no one answers then it should go to a vm that says we're assisting another customer and we'll call you back as soon as possible or if you'd like to hold (not sure if you can do this or not). If we go to lunch... we try to go between 12-1. That doesn't always happen. So I want to be able to press a button or change a setting and when the phone rings during lunch whether 12-1 or 1-2 etc for it to say we're at lunch but will return the call promptly etc.

My next question is what I want possible and how to I accomplish this? I've tried to figure it out and I see the schedule option but that doesn't fit what I need as times change for lunch mainly. I'd appreciate the help. I've attached screen shots of how my system is setup on for the CP100. I have the Nortel Norstar MICS system.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4Ozcox8xJyvQnFtdFE1TXE1ZDg&usp=sharing
Prime is your day to day.
Alt is your away/special greeting with the choice to turn messages on and off since some don't want messages left when on vacation.
You have to go into you mailbox to change from Prime to Alt or vice verse, no auto option.

Auto Attendant is you main greeting or your CCR (more advanced greeting with single digit options).

System Answer is used by Compact ICS (CICS) which has a basic CCR/Greeting system with no way to leave messages.
Instead use your voice mail system when you have one.

You want CCR
Table and Tree 1 is for Company A, if you have another company or separate set of lines you could use Table and Tree 2 or 3 or which ever.
On newer vmails it is possible to get even fancier with CCR 1 during day or 2 at night etc.
In CCR you record/program path's
Path 0 is your firs an main greeting
Path 1, 2, 3 etc are your choices.
If you go deeper such as press 1 for sales then say for Harry press 1 and Tony press 2 then Harry is Path 11 and Tony is path 12.
In other words the path number is the combined digits you pressed to get to that destination from the main greeting.

As for lunch and answering you last paragraph there is not much you can do about which greeting plays when at a touch of a button.
In Callpilot you tell which greetings to play at which times.
In the phone system using Service Modes you can tell vmail to answer right away on 0 rings by overriding callpilots 3 rings by using Callpilots DN (F985).

In your case its best to record a lunch greeting and have it play from 12-2pm this way if you dont answer anyway it wont matter.
In my opinion I suggest you dont mention about being on lunch anyway, mention maybe about being busy perhaps otherwise state you have reached mailbox and to leave a message.
You never want to appear to be a very small company and me as a caller don't care if your on lunch or standing on your head eating cheerios from a bowl.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Curlycord,
Thank you for your response. I do have Call Pilot on my system. I guess that's why I was confused about the Prime/Alt when I have the CP150.

3 rings, AA, please press 1 if you know your ext, 2 for directions, hours, location, 3 to get a quote of if you need service and 0 to speak to an operator. (trying to buy time so they can get off the other line if needed). They press option 3 for instance to get a quote. It should ring the phones again (place them on hold saying we're assisting another customer). If no one answers then it should go to a vm that says we're assisting another customer and we'll call you back as soon as possible or if you'd like to hold (not sure if you can do this or not).

How do I accomplish this part? Or is that feasible. I like your idea about the 12-2 with busy instead of lunch. Perception is everything and usually I have someone here but let someone go recently so lunch phones haven't been covered as we're short staffed.

Thanks for all your help! We've talked about upgrading our phones to a VOIP system but being a small company spending $4,000+ on a phone system not doesn't seem to be in the budget.

To add and maybe why confused....
Prime and Alternate everywhere else in Callpilot means Prime is your main language and Alternate is your second language.
i.e in Canada Prime = English and Alternate = French
You would advise people to press 2 for French.

You can use the Language utility to change either of the 2.

As for the question there is a lot to do so you would need to get a vendor in to set it up.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back