Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help setting up Portfolio for Job hunting. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2001
US
I am in need of some assistance. I am prepairing to look for new employment. I have my resume set up, but I need help with my qualification portfolio. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for what needs to be included and what not need be included? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

That's a good question.

Some thoughts - in no particular order

I think the younger that you are, the more emphasis that you need to place on education qualifications. But that emphasis should shift more towards experiences, as you have more upon which to draw.

The things that I would put in a portfolio are those which hightlight the ability to learn new things on the fly.

I wouldn't include things that "everybody can do". It gives me the impression of someone trying to impress with quantity rather than quality.

I would include those projects which were technically challenging, in an effort to show problem solving skills, flexibility, and/or adapdability.

I might consider those projects which showed an understanding of business sense. The ability to utilize technology to improve the bottom line.

If you're looking for a specific position, then closely related projects would be a plus.

If you know to whom you're sending this information, and something about what they do, and are looking for, then I might even try to tailer the portfolio to things that employer might find interesting.

Just a few thoughts - and best of luck to you. Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I think CajunCenturion said all. I would only add:

- be simple and concise. Tell'em the only the things they should know. In paper, I would not send more than a 2 pages portfolio (with some exception, of course)

- something obvious: be honest. I know people who had heard about Visual C++ and put in their portfolio that they have a deep understanding on it. Then, when they have to develop a program in Visual C++, they trap their fingers...

Good luck!

Should I add my crtifications to the portfolio? Military history? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Yes to certifications,

Military History: If Honorably Discharged, then with the mindset of people today - DEFINATELY YES ! Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back