Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help setting up Cisco 2630 router, really stupid question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkonner

MIS
Apr 28, 2001
US
Howdy,

I am not a router person. We had a disaster at work and I had to reconfigure my Cisco 2630 router. I have not had to do this for three years. I am lost. Here's the configuration of the router:

Internal WIC card with port to connect to T1 jack (I believe
this would be considered the serial port).
Two ethernet ports (ethernet0/0 and 0/1).
Console port.
Auxiliary port.

In the Cisco setup utility there is an option to setup the serial port and the two ethernet ports.

My stupid question is this: I believe that in the setup utility in the Cisco router I am supposed to setup the serial port with the WAN information provided by the ISP and the Ethernet0/0 port with the public IP numbers provided by the ISP. I have five usable public IP addresses.

Is this correct?

Thank you!

Bkonner

That's correct. Your ISP would provide the information for the serial port. On the Ethernet port you'd add one of the IP addresses, typically the first one, with the appropriate mask (255.255.255.248). You should have 5 available addresses *after* assigning one to the router.

Thank you!

I appreciate your resonse alot!

Bkonner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back