Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Setting Up Advanced Home Network With Server 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valendil

Technical User
Aug 21, 2005
CA
Well I've done this before at my old place of employment with Gentoo Linux, but I've never run a Windows Server environment before and would like to start. I've got a pretty decent amount of knowledge under my belt as well as 2 CCNA certifications. I am also in college taking a Computer Networking and Technical Support course for 3 years.

What I have:

Several machines around the new house
2x 8 port Switches (one SMC one Linksys, I know they are crap but it's only until I can afford to nab some Cisco stuff)
A 4u Rackmount Server (AMD Athlon XP 2500+, 512mb DDR 400 Duel Channel RAM, 1x 320GB IDE, 2x 160GB SATA in RAID 0, 3 10/100 ethernet ports)
A Windows 2003 Server CD-Rom, still in shrink wrap :)
And a 5mbit connection to the net via cable modem.

What I would like to do (as far as my knowledge goes this seems right to me):

Hook the cable modem directly to one of the servers ethernet ports, hook the SMC switch to the second ethernet port and the Linksys to the other ethernet port, hook all of my machines around the house to the switches, and configure Windows 2003 Server to take that internet connection, share it to the switches, do DHCP and all that, provide a decent security package (firewall and the such to protect the other machines but have full control of) and be able to access the decent amount of storage space on the server from any of the computers in the household.

Now I do believe this is the correct set-up as from my current training it makes sense to me, but please, if anything sounds incorrect or could be improved, don't hesitate to correct me.

Basically I know how to set it up to accept the incoming cable connection and I have all the other hardware set-up ready to go, all I need is the Windows 2003 Server Configuration.

I am really totally new to this. I tried to set up the active directory crap and dhcp server for the switches but nothing seemed to be working properly. I wiped the server and it's currently sitting staring at me blankly hoping someone can help me here :).

If anyone knows of a walk through or guide for this kind of setup or similar, feel free to post me a link as I'd be more then happy to check it out. If that isn't available, it would be great to have someone kind of walk me through installation settings and then end server configuration to make this whole network work (Especially the seats bit during installation, what's that all about :? ).

Any help is greatly appreciated by me and all my room mates, I will try to reply to all posts made back asap, probably within every hour :).

Thanks in advanced, Valendil.

Did you make sure that your switches are in a working condition?
In Windows 2003, AD is not hard to set up. M$ recommand the use of "Configure Your Server" wizard. Which is the first screen that welcomes you after install. If you follow the instructions, just accept the default setting as you go. If W2k3 detects 2 nic card, it will even suggest to set up M$ NAT.
AD works w/DNS, but don't worry, DNS will be set up for you too. After that, you will be able to set up more role to your server as needed. In this tutorial you can learn how to set up a file server and many more on Windows can be found on that website...

IMPORTANT: Make sure the switch is connected to the server and your internal nic has a static IP address.
It should work.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back