Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help setting up a Network printer w/ RedHat 7.0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

clueless1

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2001
US
I have an HP LaserJet 4000N on a network with a static IP address. I am able to print to it from PC's running Windows 2000 and can also access the same printer when the PC's are running AS/400 emulation software.
I have been unsuccessful in enabling the same printer to work when the PC's are connected to the Linux server. The specific flavor of Linux is RedHat 7.0.
I have another Linux box running Suse on the same network and I can print from it.
Among other things, I tried copying the config files from the Suse box to the RedHat box without any luck.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm confused, do you want to set up the printer for on the redhat box? or are you trying to create a windows style shared printer on the redhat box?

I want to be able to use the 'lpr' command when I am logged onto the RedHat box through SecureShell from Windows 2000.

I am in an academic environment. PC's in a lab are used as stand alone's running Office apps, etc for teaching purposes. The same machines access the Linux server and should be able to print to the same default printer.

THANK YOU for the quick response. I assumed I'd be lucky if anyone out there read this within the next two weeks.

you can use the redhat printtool to set up your printer...

become root and enter this command at the shell:

printtool &

this will bring up the printtool gui... add a remote lpr printer. all you will need is the ip and the print queue name. the default print queue names for hp network printers are RAW and TEXT (by convention RAW should used unless this will be a text-only printer).

hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back