Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help setting up a DNS Server using bind 9.1.3 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

coutoj

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2001
CA
I have a pc with Linux 7 installed and configured. I need to install Bind 9.1.3 on it to preform DNS functions. I downloaded the file and uncompress it and when i try to compile the program i have problems. Can anyone tell me how to compile the code!

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Coutoj,
Generally you will see the README file or INSTALL file. Generally it has three steps
make Config
make
make install

Sachin

The problems are that i don't know where to start so if you can get me started that would be great.

Jason

patel is right, read the install or readme first.
usually something like this.
./configure
make
make test(if applicable)
make install

Hi,

sometimes when i try to compile a program i get problems as well, for example my wife comes in and says: "It's almost midnight now, won't you come to bed today!" or -even worse- when i go for another cup of coffee (as told me so in some of those great README's) i have to realize that i forgot to buy it that day. ;((

To be serious:
you should give some information on your specific problems, what you tried out for yourself and what were the results, to be able to help you on your way..

ciao,
mbr

Hi,

If you are not comfortable compiling Bind from scratch, there is an alternative...

You can go to and grab an RPM of it and install it that way. While I personally advocate learning to install from source, if you are in a rush and need it up & running quickly, use the RPM... then on another box do the install from scratch so you know how :)

-John

I tried the following command and i got this error.

rpm -ivh bind-9.1.0-10.i386.rpm

file /usr/share/man/man8/named.8.gz from install of bind-9.1.0-10 conflicts with file from package bind-8.2.2_P5-25

as you can see i am new to linux so please help me.

Jason

Hi Coutoj,
use --force option.
rpm -ivhf bind???????.rpm

Sachin

i tried to do the rpm -ivhF and i get the error

>rpm -ivhF bind-9.1.1-1.sparc.rpm
error: failed dependencies:
libcrypto.so.1 is needed by bind-9.1.1-1
libdns.so.4 is needed by bind-9.1.1-1
libisc.so.3 is needed by bind-9.1.1-1
liblwres.so.1 is needed by bind-9.1.1-1
libomapi.so.3 is needed by bind-9.1.1-1

where can i get these files and where do i copy them to?

You should remove the old rpm before installing the new one. rpm -e . Of course, this will probably produce some complaints, so do your research first. There is the upgrade option:

rpm -uvh which will upgrade your current rpm. As you have seen, you will need to fulfill each dependency before the rpm will successfully install (without a force) and later run.

Furthermore, compiling bind from the sources is a relative piece of cake, so long as you read the documentation. I seriously recommend you do this and get in the practice of doing so. To run linux, you are going to need to do a lot of research. Believe me when I say setting up a dns server is much more difficult than compiling bind.

Hi,

if you can't find a rpm-package by the name given as a failed dependency on your distribution media, search for it at e.g. searching for libdns.so.4 gives Download that and install/update via
Code:
rpm -Uvh packagefile.rpm

It would be possible to force the installation of a package via "--force", but that could lead to problems, so better to resolve all package/dependency conflicts.

ciao, mbr

While we are on the subject.

If I was to complie the source and install. Were would the deafult location be.

In other words how would I manually overwrite an existing bind.

I know that you can use the prefix-- "local" option when you ./configure but were do I specifiy the location.

I would do the following:

rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force bind-9.1.1-1.sparc.rpm

That should get things running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back