Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help setting up a cluster server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newmc

MIS
Jun 18, 2001
US
Hello, This is the first time I've tried to set up a cluster server, and I'm not having too much success. I hope one of you can help me.

Here's what I have. Two identical servers running win2k advanced with cluster service installed. Both servers have two internal hard drives one for the local machine, one for the cluster. Each drive is on it's own scsi controller card. Each server has two NIC's, one connected to the LAN and the other directly to the other node.

I have configured the cluster service and it appears that the cluster is formed. Both nodes say they are up and the virtual server is visible on the network. But, if I shut down one of the nodes, I lose the virtual server and the cluster.

I know I've got something not set up right, but I'm not sure what it is. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Have you set up the preferred owners?

Each server should be set up to prefer their own arrays/disks but should also be set as possible owners for the other. (General tab of the group properties dialog).

Hope this helps,

Ash.

Make sure you have a "cluster" group with only the cluster and IP of the cluster as resources. Create a separate group for each virtual server. For example you might have call the cluster by a department name and have virtual servers for "printers", "apps".... If you don't keep the cluster/IP separate, you will see the type of behavior you're describing. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back