Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help setting SEMMSL, SEMMNS and SEMMNU semaphore kernel params

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronAllen

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2005
US
I just updated one of my legacy developement AIX 4.3.3 systems with the latest AIX 4.3.3.11. Since the reboot the DBA has semaphore errors in the database log.

16:18:44 SRV 1: SYSTEM ERROR: unable to get value of semaphore set :ó, errno 22. (551)

After looking this error up on the progress web site it tells her that SEMMSL, SEMMNS and SEMMNU need to be tuned in the kernel and it also gives her the calculation to use to get the number to set it to.

My issue is that I looked all over the system to see where I can find these settings and I just can't. I've checked smit, /etc/rc.net, /etc/rc.tcpip, /etc/rc.local and ipcs isn't showing me anything.

Thanks,

On 4.3.3 SEMMSLcannot be tuned because it is dynamically adjusted as needed by the kernel. I'm not 100% sure about the others but I believe this is also the case.

Mike

"A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble, then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant."

Even if it is dynamically changed by the kernel I should be able to set it on boot to be a specified number large enough to allow the databases to start.

AIX doesn't allow those to be changed as for the reason Mike stated. Chalk up another plus for IBM over SUN!

The issue was actually a database issue anyway.
Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back