Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help recovering emails from OE 5 not in OE6

Status
Not open for further replies.

resa73

Technical User
Nov 13, 2003
US
I upgraded my pc from Windows Me to Windows XP and it also upgraded my OE5 to OE6 and now all of my email messages are gone. I had sent the whole OE folder to a zip file before doing this but it isn't doing any good. Please tell me there is a way to recover the emails that were here prior to upgrading!m

First if you click on File > Identities are your other identities there? If so great you should find your emails in the correct identites.

If not and you just can't impoort them then try this free software call DBXtract. I have used it may times. It basically extracts all the emails from the DBX files, and it's free :)

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

hey guys,, just wanted to say THANKS!!! With your help I figured this thing out! There were two files inside of each identity number a outlook ex and an outlook explorer file. I had to choose the outlook explorer file instead of just the identity number and it all exported! I can't say thanks enough!!

I have a nearly identical problem as the one noted in this thread. Same exact upgrate this weekend. The difference in my recovery is that OE5 isn't listed in my list of options when I try to import my old OE5.5 messages, does anyone know why?

Only OE4 and OE6 display as options.

Also, I have had a great deal of difficulty recovering my address book. I have tried to just replace the .wab files in OE6 with that from my OE5 backup, but no luck.

I use OE for my home business and I could really use some help getting these e-mail message back into OE6. Any help would be very very much appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Thank you !!!

That worked great. Any suggestions on how to get back my address book?

Thanks.
Mike

Found this:

Your Windows Address Book

Find Your Windows Address Book

-Click Start, and then click Search.
-Click All files and folders.
-In the What do you want to search for box, click All
files and folders.
-In the All or part of the file name type, *.wab, and then
click Search.
-When the search is finished, double-click each file to
open it. When you have found the correct one (it will
contain your Contact information), note the exact
location and name of the file.

Import Your Windows Address Book

-In Outlook Express, click the File menu.
-Click Import, and then click Address Book.
-Point the Look In field to the location that you noted in
step #5 of the "Find Your Windows Address Book" section.
-Click the .wab file, and then click Open.
-Click OK to import the Address Book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back