Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help reasigning Extentions at new office space

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekinput

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2010
US
Hi,

My company is in the process of relocating to a new office and I need to understand how to reassign extensions to physical jacks. The guy that used to manage the Avaya IP500 used to physically move cables at the patch panel when moving someone from cubicle a to b. I always thought that was not practical as he had a spaghetti cable created in the server room. I want to connect all the cables to the patch panel using vertical and horizontal cable management and not have to physically move a cable when moving people and their phones to different cubicles.

What would be the right way to accomplish this?

I did some tests and changed the Base Extension for some of the modules/ports thinking that it would be enough but that did not do the trick. I then went to the phone and logged in the extension using *35*ext*code# and that seems to work. However, when I restarted my IP500 one of the extensions went back to a “no user” status and it did not login. I set the "Force Login" under Telephony/Supervisor Setting thinking that it would keep the login but it did not. On another test I took cubicle A with ext 3100 and cubicle B with extension 3200 and exchanged the base extensions and login to both phones with the respective extension and did not use the "Force Login" option and after rebooting the system the extensions did not change back but instead they stayed logged in.

Not sure if I am just over complicating things or doing a workaround. I just need the right steps to configure the extension at the new place.

GI

Just change the base extension numbers and reboot IP Office should be enough.
Hot desk users with "forced login" enabled will not be assigned to a physical extension after a reboot and on older versions hot desk users will never be assigned to a physical extension after a reboot.
So, don't use hot desk users if the users are always on the same physical extension.

A simple mind delivers great solutions

When I changed the base extension number during my test and saved the changes nothing really happened. Is that because it always requires a system reboot? I thought it was kind of strange that the system allows me to merge the changes and doesn't ask for a reboot...

You can reboot and everything will come back up where you want it or you can go to each phone and use *36 to log out the current user. Your change changes the base extension but the current user is still logged into the phone.

Im personally more in favour of swapping patch leads. I would rather have a tidy switch rather than your cabinet! :)

ACSS - SME
General Geek

the OP did mention a patch panel, and I cant say we have ANY IP Office installs out there that dont terminate with cat 5 on a patch panel.....

ACSS - SME
General Geek

punch blocks are from the past century.
if you see them then it is time to replace them :)

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

so they don't have a network?
or are they still using coax for that :)

invest in some patch panels and connect those to the punchblocks.
problem solved.

BAZINGA!

punch blocks are from the past century, give me a break, I prefer punch blocks then a patch panel enviorement, besides most telco closets still using punch blocks and patch panels can get quite messy after a few moves. stick with the punch down blocks, besides you know people won't be messing moving patch cords around.

acss sme acis sme acss cm 5.2.1 acss cm and cmm

Seriously, when you change a 200-user system and they don't NEED IP sets and have cat-3 cable for phones, they rarely want to invest, unless they are re-doing data cabling or doing massive renovations.

I like managing a patch panel, but it eats up a lot of space. Plus if you want to split a cable for a second phone or a fax, it gets messy fast.

Here in Canada we have Bix, you can put 250 pairs inside a 8x11 frame, 2 inches deep, compared to those 66-block monsters. And don't get me started on 110 for telephony, that is a nightmare for later additions.

The only reason patch cables get to be a mess is that time isn't taken to keep thing orderly. either way, patch or blocks, take the time to do it right. Less trouble when you trouble shoot problems or make changes.

Avaya/Nortel/NEC/Asterisk/Access Control/CCTV/DSX/Acti/UCx

i have seen them all and believe me that we are way past that overhere.
but we will never agree about this so we better stop :)

BAZINGA!

I believe a couple of countries across the pond already are 100% IP (couldn't tell you which), while we are far from here in Canada; main factor is geography. It's massive investment over here running fiber cross-country, with such a low density of population. So copper and good ol' tip and ring are here to stay a bit!

I'm in North America and I hate Bix. Even the tool breaks. If I need to connect to "legacy" infrastructure I still use a patch panel to a feed that you can do a 1 to 1 on the wall. It looks good at the system and also lets you use the old wiring, but there is almost always a cat5 to every location and if you set up the switches right then you can ride those also for IP. Traditional 2 wire telephony is dying fast. It has nothing to do with what connects sites. Copper is still king on the street where I am, but that will not last forever, nor does it affect how stations connect to the PBX. Didn't Google just do some mid west USA town in all fiber? IP is the future, and something else will surpass that soon enough, even in the Americas.

In answer to the original post... I make the users login at their new locations. Then I look at system status and map the base extensions based on that. It's a pain if it is a lot of people, but 2 people changing locations I never have to go on site and the patch cords never move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back