Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Please :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chmex21

Technical User
Jun 10, 2001
US
Hello Everyone,

I have just recently installed a Linksys DSL Router. I have it hooked into a switch and my internal network has all static IPs. Everything is working fine excpet for my web server. My e-mail server is working great, but my web server is giving a 500 error or a 404 error. I opened the port 80 and 53 on the router but no success. I am running a NT 4.0 Web Server SP6. I have the DNS server running on the same machine but still no success. What am i doing wrong, can someone please tell me what i am doing wrong. Should the DNS server have the IP of the DSL line or the internal network static IPs? Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

DNS should have the IP of the Linksys WAN port.. and the Linksys should redirect port 80 to an internal IP of your choosing.

HTTPREQUEST------LINKSYS(redirects via NAT)---INTERNALSERVER

Workstation- what is the ip for ABCD.com
DNS -- 2.2.2.2
Workstation- 2.2.2.2 http request port80
Linksys - I'm 2.2.2.2, forwards port 80 request to internal webserver via NAT
Internal webserver- sends port80 reply to next hop which is Linksys
Linksys- takes port 80 reply and forwards it back to requester

this is grossly simplifed but you get the idea

MikeS

Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

ok, Thanks for the relply. But when i do put in the WAN IP address NT says it can't find it and puts a red x through the IP address. Only when i use the internal IP address of the server then it works. It is only letting me use the 192.168.x.x for a internal IP address. I am using a Linksys router. Sorry for posting in here but nobody was answering my question in the other forum. Thanks in advance for the help. What should i do next?

howdy,
i hope i understand your question ( my English sux btw).
1' try to setup DMZ host on the linksys dsl router or port forwarding. you can do this in setup ( web interface) under advanced. choose forwarding for forwarding or DMZ host for DMZ setup.
2' OR: you have setup your server to go out through proxy that is not on your lan (reach) and that's y you have problems. setup DNS fields in your DSL router as well. are you running DHCP or you have static IPs?
linksys is kind of limited with options to configure. they do come with a little booklet ( hint, hint). also, it's easy to reconfigure them if you don't have access ( someone configured for you and left w/o leaving you a password to access you router). try good luck
alex

Thanks for the help Alex, but I do have Static IPs on the internal network. I do have access to the Router via 192.168.1.1 and have tried both port forwarding and DMZ. I have no problems with the router but since i am running my on DNS server that is were the problem comes in. For some reason and can use the static ip for my mail server that the ISP gave me but won't let me use it for my web server. Don't know if i am configuring my DNS server (NT 4.0) wrong or what is going on. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back