Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help on Staff Movement Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

hgg21

Programmer
Apr 25, 2002
SG
Hi,

I have this plan to start a staff movement database. However I need some tips on how to get it going.

There are 3 shifts per day. 2 persons per shift. I have 3 tables. 1 table is for employees profile (tblprofile). Where EmployeeID is the primary key. 2nd table is activity table (tblactivity) which records the date and shift1 2 or 3 or rest days of the employee. They are linked by employeeID. 3rd table is a training table which records the training which employees took. Also linked to the 1st by employee. Both r/s are 1 is to many.

However, I m not sure is this the optimal or is there a better way to create a r/s so that I can find out who is what shift on a particular date. Must be able to show the 2 employees particulars in a form. I m not so sure about query and filter functions also. Pls help. Thanks!!!

Regards
Jerry

The way you described it sounds ok. Just make sure you don't have to do any double entry.

How are ya hgg21 . . . . .

Your relationships are about as optimal as they can get for your present secnario. The information you desire to 'view', is easily obtainable by query.

Can you be more specific when you say: I'm not so sure about query and filter functions.

TheAceMan [wiggle]

Hi hneal98 and AceMan1,

thanks for your reply.

Okie...coz i was wondering whether it is better to have 3 tables like 1 for each shift. But in this way I have to query from 3 tables.

Hi hneal98, double entry as in??

Well I m not sure whether to use filter or query to find my desired records. I hope to use query in form and show the results in a form too. Is that possible??

Jerry
Thanks in advance.

OK hgg21 . . . .

You said: Well I m not sure whether to use filter or query to find my desired records.

Definitely go with query! Your greatest versatility of extracting records & info lies here, and leave your tables and relationships as they are . . .

TheAceMan [wiggle]

Double entry as in you don't want the user entering info more than once. For instance, if you have a table with Person and CarType, and Person is Joe, but Joe owns three cars, you don't want to have to enter Joe's name more than once. So, you create a Person table with Joe's name appearing once and you create a Car Type table with all the cars that Joe owns.

As far as whether to use a filter or query, you should be able to do either. Generally, you base your form on the query or table and use a filter for a single field, like for a search field or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back