Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need help on login screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
HI :
I just configuring my new ip address by using command ifconfig lan0 ###.##.###.### (ip address) and reboot the system,
but somehow I can't get the login screen back, can someone please help.

thanks

bee

If you cannot login from anywhere, you will probably have to boot to single user, then I think that you should make the IP address cahnge in netconf and in /etc/hosts and then reboot again.

Clare

If I remember correctly that command only affects the netconf file, you MUST have the IP address and host name of the workstation in the /etc/hosts file for the CDE to start. The fastest way is as Clare suggests reboot to single user mode, mount -a, and vi edit the /etc/hosts file.

Hello:

If you want to change the IP of your system use set_parms it will change the IP in all the files . The changes made with ifconfg are lost when you reboot the system. One time I only change the IP with the ifconfig command, when I reboot the system it hang but I make a TC and after that the system reboot well but with the old IP.

Best regards,
Mario.

Hello there,
There could be several problems, the previous answers are correct in that ifconfig, changes the ip address on your machine live, after a re-boot the machine will re-vert back to its old address. This will have been set in /etc/rc.config.d/netconf.
If I were to change an IP address manually I would make changes to the netconf file (ENSURING THERE IS NO OTHER FILE CALLED netconf IN THAT DIRECTORY), and ensure that there is the equivalent host name related to that IP address in the /etc/hosts file.
Please also check your /etc/nsswitch.conf file, and ensure for now that "hosts: files" is set.
If not, then you can use the set_parms script, if you just run the command then it give you a list of its options.
Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back