Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help on CPU. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcitt

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
US
I have a Sony laptop that came with PIII 1GHz, but it runs only 725MHz. How can I change it back to 1GHz? Also I can't get into BOI part. It should be during processing. I tried using F1, Esc, Ctrl+Delete, but it doesn't work. I don't know why. If anyone know please help me out. I will be apreciate for your help.

Thank you.
KC

Are you measuring the clock speed while you are running off the battery.Intel PIII have speedstep built into the CPU so that the clock frequency will drop as the battery voltage decays to allow you to run on your battery for longer!!
When you have your laptop running on A.C mains is the CPU speed still 725MHz???
David

Your processor runs on a 133Mhz FSB with a 7.5x multiplier for the clock signal.The nearest P3 chip to the speed your is reading is 733(coppermine) processor.
So if you still get the same reading when you are usign a.c power you should check...
1) The FSB setting in you BIOS that is at 133MhZ and not 100MHz.
2) That your battery/a.c power adapter is working ok?
David

Is there any support for this laptop on their website? you should find out how to access the bios there. I don't know sony but Toshiba uses setup progams that run from dos or windows that configure things that are normally in the bios, maybe something similar for sony? Most machines you just hit "delete" during the bootup to get in the bios Compaq uses f10 Sony could use something different... not enough free space to delete file...delete one or more files and try again...(real error message)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Thank you for all your help, but I coun't get into BIOS. I tried verything that you guys said. It is still not to get a BIOS. I will working on it.

Thank you again.
KC

If you're having trouble getting to the BIOS, try the keyboard method. When booting, hold as many keys as you can....hopefully, you'll get a keyboard error (I know this works with desktops). When the error comes up, it usually says

Keyboard Error
Press F1/Del For Setup

That should be your BIOS. Good Luck.

On the Sony laptops, you should press DEL at the appropriate moment when booting to get into BIOS setup.

Also, I believe that these machines will reduce clock speed based on CPU temperature, regardless of whether on battery or AC. Check CPU speed right after cold start. Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Newposter,
Intel Speed step technology on P3 chips runs by..
"When the notebook computer is connected to the AC outlet, the new mobile PC runs the most complex business and Internet applications with speed virtually identical to a desktop system.
When powered by a battery, the processor drops to a lower frequency (by changing the bus ratios) and voltage, conserving battery life while maintaining a high level of performance. Manual override lets you boost the frequency back to the high frequency when on battery, allowing you to customize performance.
Directly from Intel's website

David

Thank you so much this is very helpful.

KC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back