Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help on accessing Cisco 1721 thru consol port

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneColdphoneman

Technical User
Jan 13, 2003
US
I’m new to this any help would be nice. First I would like to know how to use consol port to access Cisco router 1721 any ideas were can I get some samples of simple configuration any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Art

Use a serial connector to connect the router to your PC. Use Hyperterm on your PC to open a new connection to the router. Use the default settings and change thebaud rate to 9600. Boot the router and it should go into the set up mode where you can configure the initial configuration on the router.

hi

i know how you feel i have just spent 5 days setting one up for the first time with no training so all these forums are very useful

here are a few points i have for you

1 my router had connection to my network - fastethernet0
and a serial card connecting me via kilostream to my second site - network at main site 123.0.0.0 and other site 126.0.0.0

2. set ip address of router to 123.123.1.253 255.0.0.0
3. ip addresses routing on fastethernet0 to 123.0.0.0
4. ip addresses routing on serial0 to 126.0.0.0
5. ip routing on the servers to have default gateway for 126.0.0.0 address to 123.123.1.253
6. ip helper-address on to let DHCP at main site assign ip adresses at other site

the main thing is to get the routing working

also router at remote site configure accordingly
if this is useful email me and i will email config to you on monday when i am in work

also see manual on cisco cd rom - thats what i followed and it was extremely good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back