Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help on a Virus that shuts down Virus Checkers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

biffo

Technical User
Dec 30, 2001
GB
I have used many virus programs, the likes of Sophos, Norton, McAfee and am currently trying to use AVG. The only problem is that no matter which one I use it automatically closes down after a certain amount of time with no warning, especially when I am doing a virus check on the whole of my system. At first I thought it was the virus checker itself but after trying many different ones I am pretty sure I have a virus infecting my computer unless anyone tells me otherwise. Does anyone know of a virus that shuts downs virus checkers so that it cannot be found and therefore cannot be deleted? I haven't had any other problems with my computer apart from this, and I really need a full systems check done, which I can't do at the moment. Please help. Thanks in advance. Biffo, the Godfather of making mistakes in life. Although, his Tek-Tips answers and questions are no mistakes.

biffo,
Do not remove that line from the registry.. I was mistaken, the nvcpldaemon is not for Norton Antivirus.. it is part of the nVidia installation.... I do apologize for the misinformation... I did verify the other files though... so that is the only one that is wrong... debonairOne

"I look in the mirror and what do I see..."
dboneanime.gif

1. Update the virus definitions.
2. Restart the computer in Safe mode.
3. Run a full system scan, and delete all files that are detected as a virus.
4. Run the Bugbear removaltool in safe mode
5. Delete all value's added by any virus from the registry key;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce

More info about "How to start the computer in safe mode:"

More info about how to remove a virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back