Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help - New Network - DSL to T1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcleodr

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
US
I manage a small network for my brother's Vet clinic. Currently
have 22 machines and printers on the LAN operating in a
workgroup environment. DSL modem is acting as DHCP server for
the network. Clinic wants to upgrade to T1 to get expanded
phone service as well as faster network access. One thing that
is important to the Doctors is the ability to access their
database from home. They can't do this at present. Could
someone advise me on the best way to set this up or point me to
a good site for info. I'll need hardware as well as network
admin advice. I'm not a novice, but I'm certainly not an
expert. I do follow directions well. Any help greatly
appreciated.

With either the DSL or the T1 connection, the safest way to access the office network from outside will be a VPN (virtual private network). Since you've asked in the Linksys forum, I'll suggest one of the Linksys RV series routers. This will provide VPN server & DHCP server functionality. It will be the gateway to whatever internet service that is used.

Thanks for the info. Any guides out there to help me set this up. Also recommended Linksys model for router appreciated. I've been to Linksys site, but I'm not sure which model would best suit our environment. We will have very little if any expansion in the near future.

Thanks again for your response.

Rob

You will also need a static IP at each location to make this work correctly. Another router to look at that will work with dynamic IP is Cisco 871. Being the doctors at home might not want to pay extrat fees for a ststic the Cisco might work best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back