Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help making a small sign/label for a fish picture. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

keun

Technical User
Jul 15, 2005
US
Imagine if you will:

A 9"w x 6.5" canvas with a picture of a fish. The fish is about as wide as the canvas, and from three to four inches high. Located in the two to three inches of blank space at the bottom, there is a small sign with the name of the fish. I want to sign to look like a small piece of paper or poster board stuck to the canvas with two round-head pins/tacks.

Is this possible?

I create the signs with rubber stamps, then scan them. They measure between two and three inches wide on paper.

Here is an example of the sign:

freshwaterDrumSign-small.JPG

Large version:

I am doing pretty well. I am at the "multiply step" (2:04) and I just let out a verbal, "woah.

Got it!

Ok, three questions:

1. You apply a style, but then apply a texture. I am not sure what is happening here, because it looked to me like the texture became the "paper" and the style did not matter after we apply the texture.

2. Can I make the canvas end at the outer edge of the shadow, so the JPG is only as big as it needs to be?

3. I can watch the video again and figure this out, but my shadow on the left side is really dark, where do I lighten that?

BrownTroutSign%20copy1-medium.jpg

1. i applied a preset style to the paper layer (which already contained the texture) i saved this prior to making the video just to save time, i simply went in to show you where to get the textures, and that you can change it to whatever you choose, and how. The style mattered purely as a time saver for purpose of the video.

2. Best to trim down at the very end if possible, once happy with your result. More canvas space gives better flexibility...

...you can use the crop tool to trim it down a bit manually (5th tool down in the toolbar or press the C key) if you wish, or go back into the image > canvas size...

...however it is better to use the trim command with a transparent background...

...turn off the white layer at the bottom so you have a transparent checkerboard background, then under image > trim, transparent pixels option turned on, and all sides checked on, hit OK.

3. double click the drop shadow name on your paper layer, you can change the opacity there, try about 50% and the angle too, you may find it better at an angle of 90 to 80 degrees.

...in addition, on your paper layer, add a gradient overlay to give more depth, at a low opacity...

Andrew

...also, you can refine the edge of the paper mask so it is not so close to the text...

...click the link symbol between the mask icon and the image icon on the paper layer, so it is UNLINKED...

...click the mask icon so it is selected, then press command/control T, drag the handles out a bit to make the paper bigger a touch...

...the mask essentially controls the paper size and also the rough edges...

Andrew

...also, as mentioned earlier, save out to PSD and place in illustrator (file > place)...

...depending on what it sits on you may be better off without the bottom white layer, so you have a transparent background, this might be required in a situation where you have a colored object in illustrator it needs to sit on...

...for the push pins, it might look better to do that in photoshop too, unless you want the 3D looking ones...

Andrew

I do like the looks of that pin.

I have sort of decided to worry about the pin once I figure out how to make the sign. But the pin is next on my list!

I actually might just use the sign the way it is, the pins might just make things too busy and cluttered.

I also see that you trashed the paper a little with some more tears. That looks pretty cool.

...yes, you can create more random edges by painting in black on the mask of the paper layer with a small paint brush...

Andrew

...yes, the pin/pins can distract from the text a bit, that is true, the text stands out better without it, and after all, the message is really the important part to get across...

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back